• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Accounts Commitee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Accounts Commitee

Just listening to the Public Accounts Committee try and grill the Google Tax boys on their affairs. The PAC team are truly dreadful. Meg Hillier - what a disaster. About as effective as a chocolate teapot.

Originally posted by Not Losing Any Sleep View Post
    Just listening to the Public Accounts Committee try and grill the Google Tax boys on their affairs. The PAC team are truly dreadful. Meg Hillier - what a disaster. About as effective as a chocolate teapot.
    Now the turn of the HMRC team. Will see if they are any better.

Comment

When you compare our committee hearings with the American ones that the senate runs, it's amazing the difference between the two.

Probably because senators tend to have been lawyers before becoming politicians so know how to grill people properly, whereas we have a collection of MPs who are career politicians from the day they left school to where they are now.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        When you compare our committee hearings with the American ones that the senate runs, it's amazing the difference between the two.

Probably because senators tend to have been lawyers before becoming politicians so know how to grill people properly, whereas we have a collection of MPs who are career politicians from the day they left school to where they are now.
        MP Deidre Brock is having a go at grilling HMRC. Her background as a Home and Away actress looks to be helping!

Comment

The chairwoman really is particularly aggressive It doesn't seem right that she's grilling the bloke over his personal salary - think I'd tell her to mind her own damn business
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            The chairwoman really is particularly aggressive It doesn't seem right that she's grilling the bloke over his personal salary - think I'd tell her to mind her own damn business
            As with Hodge, its all about a bunch of second tier politicians who are out of their depth trying to score points and make headlines and look good on TV. I thought HMRC did OK. Homer looked less convincing on the area of the time it takes to close small business investigations.

Comment

As with Hodge, its all about a bunch of second tier politicians who are out of their depth trying to score points and make headlines and look good on TV. I thought HMRC did OK. Homer looked less convincing on the area of the time it takes to close small business investigations.
              Agreed - I don't know where they get off with all this - it wouldn't be so bad if they had even the vaguest clue on what they're talking about - they don't even seem to get that tax is payable on profit and not revenue

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Caroline Flint keeps asking questions and then just talks over the poor bloke when he reaches a part of the explanation that she doesn't understand i.e. after about 20 seconds

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

As with Hodge, its all about a bunch of second tier politicians who are out of their depth trying to score points and make headlines and look good on TV.
                  Aptly summarized.
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Anybody who thinks that the PAC is anything more than a kangaroo Court filled with second rate politicians looking to make headlines at their victims expense, is deluded.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                    X