• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Late Payment Notice -APN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late Payment Notice -APN

Has anybody received a Late Payment Notice for the APN despite Judicial Review appeal and filing of Hardship statement by the scheme provider ? Does it hold any merit ?

Originally posted by Redbrick View Post
    Has anybody received a Late Payment Notice for the APN despite Judicial Review appeal and filing of Hardship statement by the scheme provider ? Does it hold any merit ?
    You may find more information in Big Group forum

Click me
    http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

As Mr Rover says, this happens.

In some instances involving a Judicial review, there is a suggestion that HMRC has breached some agreement not to collect sums allegedly due but where the JR has yet to be decided. I'm not aware of the details of any such agreement, nor whether HMRC has actually done this as part of a deliberate policy or just administrative incompetence.

For more straightforward instances, the situation can usually be sorted out pretty quickly.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        whether HMRC has actually done this as part of a deliberate policy or just administrative incompetence.
        Does it matter? I would argue that in these matters, those two are one and the same. Creating a context where incompetence notoriously goes unpunished will encourage the less ethical (not to say "sociopathic") faction of HMRC footsoldiers to act recklessly. And that is very much a matter of policy.
        No amount of denial from HMRC's top brass will change that. People have eyes to see, and a brain to put two and two together.
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

For the record, I am not of the opinion that there is one or more bands of HMRC officers involved in the day to day grind who have decided, on their own initiative, to deliberately cause taxpayers worry and angst.

I am of the opinion that there are cohorts of policy makers and those who are responsible for executing that policy who deliver instructions to the above groups which often are unfair and designed to cause worry and angst as part of a deliberate campaign.

This combined with the inevitable errors in administration when you deal with millions of actions, is a problem.

I am also convinced that there are some in HMRC and in the groups that set HMRC policy, who are driven by motives that result in some of the uncaring and frankly dangerous to health decisions we have seen in the past year. These people justify their actions by quoting "fairness to all" and "all to be treated equally". Their benchmark though is an impossibly prescient person who foresaw 10 years ago the situation today and moved to prevent it.

This group lives their business life in a permanent state of hindsight and whilst they may describe their motives as above, I fear that petty minded envy and personal inadequacy play an equal part.

Thank you for listening

(No, me neither).

Comment

For the record, I am not of the opinion that there is one or more bands of HMRC officers involved in the day to day grind who have decided, on their own initiative, to deliberately cause taxpayers worry and angst.

I am of the opinion that there are cohorts of policy makers and those who are responsible for executing that policy who deliver instructions to the above groups which often are unfair and designed to cause worry and angst as part of a deliberate campaign.

This combined with the inevitable errors in administration when you deal with millions of actions, is a problem.

I am also convinced that there are some in HMRC and in the groups that set HMRC policy, who are driven by motives that result in some of the uncaring and frankly dangerous to health decisions we have seen in the past year. These people justify their actions by quoting "fairness to all" and "all to be treated equally". Their benchmark though is an impossibly prescient person who foresaw 10 years ago the situation today and moved to prevent it.

This group lives their business life in a permanent state of hindsight and whilst they may describe their motives as above, I fear that petty minded envy and personal inadequacy play an equal part.

Thank you for listening
            Having a bad day?

But well said...

Comment

Originally posted by jonnieboy View Post
              Having a bad day?

But well said...
              The best part about banging your head against a brick wall is stopping?

I'm having a bit of an issue today with hacking my way through inert but dense layers of HMRC whose answers range from "don't know", "I'll have to ask my manager who will (not) call you back", "you need to call this number (who won't answer)", etc.

not a bad day, just a normal one.

(No, me neither).

Comment

The best part about banging your head against a brick wall is stopping?

I'm having a bit of an issue today with hacking my way through inert but dense layers of HMRC whose answers range from "don't know", "I'll have to ask my manager who will (not) call you back", "you need to call this number (who won't answer)", etc.

not a bad day, just a normal one.
                I guess for those of us who just have to deal with HMRC (albeit terrifyingly) now and again, some people have to deal with them day in and day out. Best wishes...

Comment

Me neither. See my avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnieboy View Post
                    I guess for those of us who just have to deal with HMRC (albeit terrifyingly) now and again, some people have to deal with them day in and day out. Best wishes...
                    Sometimes I think one has to have a masochistic tendency to work as tax advisor (or accountant) in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                    X