• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

APN, Judicial Review, HMRC collection activity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APN, Judicial Review, HMRC collection activity

We've become aware that HMRC has been contacting members of certain schemes who received an APN and subsequently joined a Judicial Review. The terms of the JR included a claim for hardship and in most instances we've seen, HMRC has agreed not to press for payment until the JR decision has been made. HMRC has always maintained that failure to pay the APN will result in penalties applying from the original due date but again they would not press for payment of these until the JR decision was made.

Now it seems that the original 90 day period has expired and HMRC has started contacting people for payment. This is via their usual method of telephone in the first instance and will include an invitation for a personal visit. This is not a special intimidatory tactic on collection but part of the process described in their Manuals.

There are however some communications circulating that accuse HMRC of breaching the terms of the JR injunction and resorting to intimidatory tactics. Whilst this may be true, there are some important points not being mentioned in the communications.

The agreement with HMRC in respect of those who are part of a JR, includes a "non collection" clause.

This means that despite the APN (and penalty) REMAINING DUE, it will not be subject to collection action.

A JR may gain you a few extra weeks before payment is due but at the cost of a penalty and legal fees.

A representation made within the rules creates a delay in payment AND a delay in the date a penalty can be applied.

The JR therefore DOES NOT remove the liability or the penalty.

By all means use the suggested methods of resisting collection action, for all I know HMRC may have breached their agreements, but be practical and assume that eventually payment is due (possibly with penalty) and if you need to discuss Time To Pay - start early.
    Last edited by webberg; 26 November 2015, 10:25. Reason: general mupperty
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    We've become aware that HMRC has been contacting members of certain schemes who received an APN and subsequently joined a Judicial Review.
    Is there a JR representing Edge / Redstone?

Comment

Originally posted by Wibble1 View Post
      Is there a JR representing Edge / Redstone?
      I think there was but that ship has sailed.

Perhaps other know better than I do here?

You would (probably) have had to be a member of the action at the outset to benefit, but again, others may know better.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Is there an Edge JR in progress

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        I think there was but that ship has sailed.

Perhaps other know better than I do here?

You would (probably) have had to be a member of the action at the outset to benefit, but again, others may know better.
        To all, is there a JR in-progress for Edge / Redstone, what's the status, is it too late to join and what are the contact details for whoever is managing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wibble1 View Post
          To all, is there a JR in-progress for Edge / Redstone, what's the status, is it too late to join and what are the contact details for whoever is managing it?
          This might be what you're looking for. It is run by former users of the scheme.

Norla Edge Former Employee Self Help Group EBT Employee Benefit Trust

Saleos consulting are also doing something JR wise and I think they represent Edge users.

Saleos

I don't know if it's too late to join. As I recall, both were charging £1000 or so.

(Please don't contact me because I'm nothing to do with any of this, and have no opinion either way.)

Comment

Where are the s29ers

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            This might be what you're looking for. It is run by former users of the scheme.

Norla Edge Former Employee Self Help Group EBT Employee Benefit Trust
            The sites gone. Have the s29ers gone also? And I sent them an email a few weeks ago and got nothing back.

Comment

Working...
            X