• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

APNs with incorrect amount of tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APNs with incorrect amount of tax

We're coming across a lot of APN with wrong tax amounts.

If you get an APN, check the figures very carefully.

This is a legitimate grounds for making a representation (contesting the APN).

I'm not sure if this is a common thing, but in my EBT-based APN there was the throwaway line "We have calculated the amount of this APN by multiplying your PAYE figure for the year in question by five".

So they know full well they aren't going to be accurate figures when they send them out, they just force the recipient to do the donkey work (excuse the pun DR) of figuring out the accurate amount, perhaps just as an added twist of the knife...

Comment

The x times salary method seems to be the way they've calculated mine which is frustrating considering the SO helpline confirmed they have all the info they need.

That said my APN amount was vastly lower than what I was expecting so it's bought me some more time to save for a CTD.

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
        I'm not sure if this is a common thing, but in my EBT-based APN there was the throwaway line "We have calculated the amount of this APN by multiplying your PAYE figure for the year in question by five".
        So they know full well they aren't going to be accurate figures when they send them out, they just force the recipient to do the donkey work (excuse the pun DR) of figuring out the accurate amount, perhaps just as an added twist of the knife...
        Yeah, it's just to add insult to injury.

My APNs are based on a pretty similar algorithm. They overestimated my income by 50%. The whole thing's a joke.
        What a bunch of

(Yes, I'm talking about you, APN team )
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

As Mr DR said, check the numbers.

Estimates are acceptable if they are based on the best knowledge and judgement of a designated HMRC officer.

So ask them:

What knowledge do they have and what have they used?
          What judgement has been applied to that knowledge?
          Who is the designated officer?

It is for HMRC to PROVE an estimate, not for you to disprove it.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

My APN is for the wrong amount - about twice as much as it should be. I understand why (they guessed at the figures) and I have to write to them to correct the amount and have a new one issued. Has anyone already done this, and if so, how long has it taken for the revised APN to be processed? I'm trying to pick a time to send the letter that a) buys me as much time as possible whilst b) doesn't risk getting a 5% penalty applied which I then have to argue about, with all the complications that entails.

Any suggestions on how many times to wipe it on the dog's bum before putting it in the envelope also welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
              My APN is for the wrong amount - about twice as much as it should be. I understand why (they guessed at the figures) and I have to write to them to correct the amount and have a new one issued. Has anyone already done this, and if so, how long has it taken for the revised APN to be processed? I'm trying to pick a time to send the letter that a) buys me as much time as possible whilst b) doesn't risk getting a 5% penalty applied which I then have to argue about, with all the complications that entails.
              If the APN figures are gross guesstimates (and let's be honest, whose aren't?), then there is not much to ponder: you send your representation (with alternative figures) as close to the 90 days deadline as possible (allowing a few days for delivery of course).
              Send it by registered post, and double it with a fax just to be sure.
              (NB: I notice that the more recent APNs do not feature a fax number anymore, so you might have to obtain it by actually speaking to the bastards on the phone. Not great, I know)
              Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Hi,

For those who have challanged the amounts within the APNs, what did you use as proof, was it the original P11s for the year in question and/or bank statements (for example).

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X