• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

APN and penalty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zimbtar View Post
    What if you have already told them that there is no way you can pay the amount of the SO and there is no way you are willing to pay £x00s / month for the rest of your days?
    This is of course in writing and recorded.

HMRC - We want £ xx 000s.
    "Customer" - I don't have it
    HMRC - Well in that case we want £ x 000s + another £ xx 00s in penalties and £ xx 00s in interest.
    "Customer" - I don't have it
    etc
    If you don't pay an APN it is an enforceable debt.

At the moment we just don't know far HMRC would go to enforce it.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      The following is a response from HMRC - OFFICIAL.

The example given is where an APN for £100 is issued, not paid so attracts a maximum 15% penalty and later the final liability is less than £100. In other words the APN as issued is excessive and perhaps issued in order to coerce people into settlement.

Dear Mr xxxxxxx,

The late payment penalties apply if payment is not made in respect of an APN by the due date, irrespective of the final outcome of the matter. So in your example below, the total of £15 of penalties would remain.

When there is a JR challenge, the penalty is chargeable from the stated due date for payment of the APN.

I have not checked the rules in depth yet but I think another series of challenges is probably the result if this response is correct.
      I can't decide if 1.13.10 contradicts the above.
      https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-f-notices.pdf

1.14.4 also suggests that you get the penalty refunded if you win the substantive litigation (your tax appeal)

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        I can't decide if 1.13.10 contradicts the above.
        https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-f-notices.pdf

1.14.4 also suggests that you get the penalty refunded if you win the substantive litigation (your tax appeal)
        I think that 1.14.4 refers to penalties in respect of Follower Notices (section 1). Penalties in respect of non-payment of APNs are dealt with in section 2.7. I cannot find any section that deals with the situation where a penalty for non-payment of an APN has been applied, but where the scheme was later found to work, but that does not mean it's not there somewhere. Or maybe they just forgot to add that bit?

Comment

Originally posted by MishiMoo View Post
          I think that 1.14.4 refers to penalties in respect of Follower Notices (section 1). Penalties in respect of non-payment of APNs are dealt with in section 2.7. I cannot find any section that deals with the situation where a penalty for non-payment of an APN has been applied, but where the scheme was later found to work, but that does not mean it's not there somewhere. Or maybe they just forgot to add that bit?
          Thanks for correcting my mistake.

The whole thing is a convoluted nightmare. Penalties on a debt that might not be a debt. Penalties on a debt that aren't refundable if the debt turns out not to be a debt.

Comment

The whole thing is a convoluted nightmare. Penalties on a debt that might not be a debt. Penalties on a debt that aren't refundable if the debt turns out not to be a debt.
            This. Truly the creation of an insane mind!
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Agreed 100% You literally could not make it up!

Comment

Pay the APN -> Then what?

Suppose you had the means and you pay the APN - What happens next?

Your case is still not settled as far as I understand but at least you will have avoided any penalties?

Join a group and off to the FTT to fight to get the money back?

Have I made any staggering assumptions that are wrong??

Comment

Originally posted by foobar View Post
                  Suppose you had the means and you pay the APN - What happens next?

Your case is still not settled as far as I understand but at least you will have avoided any penalties?

Join a group and off to the FTT to fight to get the money back?

Have I made any staggering assumptions that are wrong??
                  Ultimately its FTT, but sadly with appeals and procedures...could be years of waiting for a final outcome
                  http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by foobar View Post
                    The APN penalties at least - there may still be penalties applied to the underlying case if lost, although the general view is that penalties are unlikely if you fully declared the scheme on your tax return.

Comment

Working...
                    X