• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Joint action on APN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilikins1 View Post
    Lifeline!!!! Will be interesting to understand the ins and outs !!
    The only real downside I can see is the £900.

If you receive an APN for £50k or £100k, and haven't got the money to pay, then £900 may not seem so bad to defer it.

Part of the JR application will be to request for it to be stayed behind the Pinsent Masons JR on behalf of the Ingenious film scheme investors.

It is quite likely that, even if Pinsent lose in the High Court, they will appeal to the Court of Appeal and then the Supreme Court. It could drag on for a year or two with all the other JRs stayed behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Part of the JR application will be to request for it to be stayed behind the Pinsent Masons JR on behalf of the Ingenious film scheme investors.

It is quite likely that, even if Pinsent lose in the High Court, they will appeal to the Court of Appeal and then the Supreme Court. It could drag on for a year or two with all the other JRs stayed behind it.
      Jolyon Maughan QC just twitted "Pinsent Mason's APN JR practically toast". Don't know what he knows, but he is generally well informed.
      Not good.
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
        Jolyon Maughan QC just twitted "Pinsent Mason's APN JR practically toast". Don't know what he knows, but he is generally well informed.
        Not good.
        Does he read this forum? Would he have a special interest on this joint JR not taking off?

Comment

Does he read this forum? Would he have a special interest on this joint JR not taking off?
          1/ I'd be surprised. 2/ I don't think so.
          The comment was about the ongoing JR of Ingenious. I understand the "joint JR" would be really us attaching ourselves to Ingenious' proceedings.
          If Ingenious doesn't do well, we have nothing to join!

Comment

Reading this

Waiting for Godot | Holding on to the fruits of tax avoidance

I get the impression he is pro-APN rather than against it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTucker View Post
              Reading this

Waiting for Godot | Holding on to the fruits of tax avoidance

I get the impression he is pro-APN rather than against it.
              Mr Maugham QC did appear for the taxpayer in a high profile avoidance case that lost. It's under appeal but he has advised his clients that their chances are low.

He then appeared for HMRC in a case and won.

It may be that he has political ambition perhaps and wants to develop a history of statements designed to win votes?

I respect him a lot. I think his judgement on where HMRC and the courts are at the moment is better than some of the older QC's.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                Mr Maugham QC did appear for the taxpayer in a high profile avoidance case that lost. It's under appeal but he has advised his clients that their chances are low.

He then appeared for HMRC in a case and won.

It may be that he has political ambition perhaps and wants to develop a history of statements designed to win votes?

I respect him a lot. I think his judgement on where HMRC and the courts are at the moment is better than some of the older QC's.
                I ve just read that he previously acted for ingenious Media, did they sack him?

Comment

I ve just read that he previously acted for ingenious Media, did they sack him?
                  Not to my knowledge.

You would have to ask somebody a lot closer to the situation then me to get a answer with any real insight but I think Ingenious went for a very senior QC in the end (David Milne QC) and have been adding to that team ever since.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                    In case it's of interest: Mr Maughan QC's tweet has now been deleted. Not sure what this was all about.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      The only real downside I can see is the £900.

If you receive an APN for £50k or £100k, and haven't got the money to pay, then £900 may not seem so bad to defer it.

Won't MP be applying for JR on behalf of it's members if the George defence fails anyway?
                      Are we realistically only talking about deferring it in the hope that something else saves the day, or is there a half a chance of actually winning a JR?
                      Historically the record isn't great :/

Comment

Working...
                      X