• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rangers Tax Case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
    Obviously they are hoping that an eventual win means they can bully all EBT users into coughing up.

Anyone know what HMRC's EBT revenue estimation is?
    Why bother? Now they have APN's they don't have to prove anything. If they lose again and finally in this case, it's not like they're going to issue follower notices and give us all a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
      Why bother? Now they have APN's they don't have to prove anything. If they lose again and finally in this case, it's not like they're going to issue follower notices and give us all a refund.
      The APN is a payment of tax in ADVANCE of agreement. The tax still has to be agreed at some point. It can't be left in limbo for ever.

Don't get confused over Follower Notices. A FN can be issued where your claim for tax relief is based on principles found to be ineffective in a finally decided case. There might be some argument about the principles (HMRC's subjective view), but the key is a "finally decided case".

On EBT/RT/loan/ToAA there is no such case so far and therefore no chance of a FN.
      If HMRC do collect under and APN and subsequently the amount is deemed to be excessive, then HMRC is OBLIGED to repay. In my experience HMRC are diligent in this process and do go to some trouble to find people and refund cash. I'm saying that they return all the money (perhaps they never collect all the money) but they try.

I appreciate that those under the cosh assign base motives to their persecutors but to make progress here, you have to rise above that and deal with the agency on professional basis. It will always pay dividends to keep matters objective. Save the emotional stories for the press and social media. This is not meant to be patronizing and I have huge sympathy for all here, but by keeping matters in proportion and objective a better result on many levels will be achieved.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I think Rab's point here is that follower notices work only where a case rules in favour of HMRC and do not work in reverse where a case goes against HMRC. I may be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
          Anyone know what HMRC's EBT revenue estimation is?
          Not sure, but by August 2014 they say that they have raised £800m from 700 employers under the EBT settlement opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
            Not sure, but by August 2014 they say that they have raised £800m from 700 employers under the EBT settlement opportunity.
            99 % or this was from JP Morgan employees who were under a 3 line whip.

Comment

Originally posted by Not Losing Any Sleep View Post
              99 % or this was from JP Morgan employees who were under a 3 line whip.
              And also Henderson employees, a friend of a friend was stung for £40k on 10 year old bonuses.

Comment

Working...
              X