• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting from Hertfordshire to Canary Wharf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    And get some heated grips for the winter. Public transport is for permies.
    I used to use Vanguard Helipad on Westferry Road.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorOnAMotorbike View Post
      Lol... indeed it is. Back in 2012 I was contracting for a company in Surrey and did commute on the bike through the winter.

Agree 100% that heated grips are very useful. What I thought made heated grips even more effective was hand guards... like this one My 1250 Bandit: V Strom Hand Guards
      I've a scooter with a full screen that I was given (I laughed long and hard when it's previous owner bought the bike) and would probably add one if I had the need to commute by bike again.

Comment

Thank you !

I am looking forward to it. Contracting in Central London now in Mayfair and haven't worked at Canary Wharf before.

Just went there for the interview and it was very much a land of sharp suits.
        I actually find it pretty relaxed here for a financial centre. Open and airy compared to parts of the City.

There's also covered parking with dedicated (motor)bike areas.

Comment

Think I will use the motorcycle and see how that goes . Google maps says 55 minutes and historically that means 45-50 minutes on a fast bike.
          Bloke next to me [motor]bikes in, has some knowledge of where to park if you need it?
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

One thing to remember when driving, that this whole area is private property and owned by the Canary Wharf Group. They have their own rent a cop, with no sense of humour.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              Bloke next to me [motor]bikes in, has some knowledge of where to park if you need it?
              Oh yes please! That would be much appreciated.

I was planning to go there on Sunday morning anyway to see if motorbike parking looks safe so any suggestion from your friend is most welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                One thing to remember when driving, that this whole area is private property and owned by the Canary Wharf Group. They have their own rent a cop, with no sense of humour.
                That is very useful to know... didn't realise that it's private property. Wonder whether there is less vehicle theft there because it's private property.

Comment

That is very useful to know... didn't realise that it's private property. Wonder whether there is less vehicle theft there because it's private property.
                  Since this, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1370275.html, security has been pretty tight there.

Comment

Welcome wharf brother

Dlr is fine but consider a bus, a million buses turn up at CW every morning from everywhere you can imagine , air con, wifi, coffee, 60% of train fare

Look it up, I've a penthouse at CW so I walk to work, but remember you can't have a beer if you come in on the bike

Comment

Working...
                    X