• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Addiction to debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    How do you figure? You can save without going into debt. Where do you think debt comes from without central bank funny money? Or credit, rather.
    Tom Tom is correct. Whoever you save with will have a debt to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      Tom Tom is correct. Whoever you save with will have a debt to you.
      I thought he was alluding to the rather ridiculous claim by some economists that government spending (and debt) in the economy is required for savings. It depends, anyway, as you can simply stash money in a piggy bank and that will constitute saving it, as it isn't necessarily a case of parking it in a bank to perform its intermediation function of offering interest on it whilst it lends it out for a higher rate. However, it does make more sense put that way, since it is how banks regard any money you put in them (the more recent development being: theirs for the taking.)
      Last edited by Zero Liability; 1 July 2014, 21:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
        I thought he was alluding to the rather ridiculous claim by some economists that government spending (and debt) in the economy is required for savings. It depends, anyway, as you can simply stash money in a piggy bank and that will constitute saving it, as it isn't necessarily a case of parking it in a bank to perform its intermediation function of offering interest on it whilst it lends it out for a higher rate. However, it does make more sense put that way, since it is how banks regard any money you put in them (the more recent development being: theirs for the taking.)
        Stashing money away in a piggy bank decreases the supply of available money and should cause a tiny-weeny bit of inflation.

My main point ( if there was one ) is that debt is neither good nor bad, and saving is neither good nor bad but both are vital to a functioning economy.

Today I created some debt out of thin air. I have sold some of my software ( to an Australian company and a German company ). I have provided them with the software and an invoice. But you wouldn't describe that debt as "bad" or an addiction - it's just vital to business.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          My main point ( if there was one ) is that debt is neither good nor bad, and saving is neither good nor bad but both are vital to a functioning economy.
          I wish we had known that in 2008 - it would have saved alot of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I wish we had known that in 2008 - it would have saved alot of trouble.
            It's a self-balancing system. Sometimes it corrects gently, other times a bit more violently.

2008 was great for me . I was threatened by unemployment in December 2008 and concluded that it was not acceptable for other people to be able to make the decision about whether I had an income or not. So I created a product and am now working "for myself". The 2008 crash was the nudge I needed.

Comment

Working...
            X