• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Addiction to debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Does Japan not have debt?
    Only to its own citizens. Which is why its not really a problem - like Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      So what will happen as its aging population starts to cash in their saving bonds in retirement?
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Ahh but Italy has much more wealth that the UK. Twice the gold reserves and many assets that remain in Italian hands. No selling off the crown jewels to shareholders & hedge-funds.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Its not just debt.

As a country our leaders are also showing an addiction to mass immigration and pushing for low wages commodity economy. No concept of aiming for the high value, high innovation, high quality end of the spectrum just constantly driving costs down. And employers subsidised in their low wage frenzy with top up benefits, tax perks for employing foreign nationals instead of Brits, etc.

An addiction to hyping house prices.

An addiction to QE.

And all the rest of it.

Its not going to end nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
            So what will happen as its aging population starts to cash in their saving bonds in retirement?
            Little boy

Comment

If you don't have debt then you cannot have "saving".

If you don't have saving then you cannot have investment.

If you cannot have investment you cannot have growth.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with debt.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with debt.
                Agreed. There is a lot wrong, though, with a system where money exists (by design) only as debt - i.e. a pyramid scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  I once got lost in Elephant & Castle and found myself on the Old Kent Road. Thanks to Monopoly, it was oddly reassuring; a vague sense of "Well at least it's somewhere I know" even though I'd never been there before
                  I once worked at the Elephant & Castle as above the shopping center the DHSS (thats how long ago it was) had a computer center and it was notable for a few things:

- the snooker room was built out the back of the computer room, which was handy
                  - the breakfasts in the canteen were the bollocks
                  - our department was nearly all contractors starting with the pig ignorant high earning EDS consultants at the top to the high earning (payment was by cheque in those days) techies at the bottom with a sprinkling of civil servants in between who were all pretty damn good at their jobs
                  - it was piss easy
                  - the bookies below our office where afternoons were spent betting on the dogs although you had to be careful sneaking down there as the offices all looked down on the shopping center
                  - watching the weekly muggings in the shopping center from above
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    If you don't have debt then you cannot have "saving".
                    How do you figure? You can save without going into debt. Where do you think debt comes from without central bank funny money? Or credit, rather.

Comment

I wish AtW was here to tell us the right answer.

Comment

Working...
                      X