• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The scandal of fiddled global warming data

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    I assumed he'd read at least the abstracts of all 1350+ seeing as he pointed us in the direction of the blog and the blog is not itself a peer reviewed literature review of systematic review.

If that's not the case:

BB, as you linked us to the blog, in your (accepting not professional or peer reviewed) opinion, approximately how many of the 1350+ peer reviewed papers support:
    His blog is not peer reviewed but is not necessarily wrong. But since it isn't peer reviewed it is unconvincing.

I think that is the text we agreed on.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      His blog is not peer reviewed but is not necessarily wrong. But since it isn't peer reviewed it is unconvincing.

I think that is the text we agreed on.
      Thank you for posting something not necessarily wrong but unconvincing.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I assumed he'd read at least the abstracts of all 1350+ seeing as he pointed us in the direction of the blog and the blog is not itself a peer reviewed literature review of systematic review.

If that's not the case:

BB, as you linked us to the blog, in your (accepting not professional or peer reviewed) opinion, approximately how many of the 1350+ peer reviewed papers support:
        Whoa, first - how many are actually peer-reviewed journal articles? We are, after all, sceptics. How many, for example appeared in Energy and Environment?
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          Whoa, first - how many are actually peer-reviewed journal articles? We are, after all, sceptics. How many, for example appeared in Energy and Environment?
          Can we at least let BB have a chance first to defend Energy and Environment as a learned peer reviewed journal (and perhaps to share its impact factor??)
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Nexus 6: The worst climate science paper ever of all time anywhere

(and yes, it is on the list)
            Last edited by pjclarke; 26 June 2014, 15:15.

Comment

Sorry, PJ. That looks like another blog, or is it peer reviewed?

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Spelling Bee would argue if you said the sun would come up in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  But since it isn't peer reviewed it is unconvincing.
                  I've just been ploughing through an academic paper which I assume was peer reviewed.

The author made the simple mistake of confusing decimal and hexadecimal so the bit of code he included is a load of tosh.

It would appear that nobody picked that up.

Based on this example of one* I conclude that peer reviewing isn't all it's cracked up to be.

* this is General
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Spelling Bee would argue if you said the sun would come up in the morning.
                    No I wouldn't.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Sorry, PJ. That looks like another blog, or is it peer reviewed?
                      Ah, no sadly. It's a non-peer-reviewed critique of a joke paper in a joke journal listed in a joke list. E & E is not the worst journal cited though, amazingly. PopTech likes two articles published in the 'Journal of Scientific Exploration'.

Here's a list of research published in JSE. My favourite has to be ...

An Empirical Study of Some Astrological Factors in Relation to Dog Behaviour Differences by Statistical Analysis and Compared with Human Characteristics.
                      Personally, I would think twice before citing a Dog Astrology journal. But hey, gotta get those numbers up somehow...
                      Last edited by pjclarke; 26 June 2014, 15:37.

Comment

Working...
                      X