• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

woman who stopped car to help ducks faces life in jail after causing fatal crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Oh gawd, you're one of those. The law does NOT agree that all rear end collisions are caused by the rear car, because it's just not that simple:

Blog: Is it ever the car in fronts fault for a crash from behind? - Colemans CTTS Solicitors

Bumper rip-off :

And with regards to cash for crash, do you honestly think that deliberately causing a rear end crash is legal? (Hint: It's not, and if caught, they'll do you for it)

Not in the slightest - but there's a WORLD of difference between being in an unfortunate position and putting yourself there. By way of analogy - there are legitimate reasons why I might have to punch someone. It doesn't mean I get to punch anyone and just say "Yeah, but there may have a been a reason - you can't touch me". Stopping unexpectedly on a motorway is EXCEPTIONALLY dangerous and should be treated as such - we all have responsibilities to each other, and not doing stupid things for no good reason is one of them.

And my driving is fine, thanks - I do best the part of 30,000 incident free miles a year in cars and on bikes. However, I believe being a good driver is also being aware of your flaws - none of us are perfect and our eyes don't always give the full story. Detecting movement when you're behind something is actually quite tough, even more so when you're travelling very quickly. There's a reason the Police and Highways panic when someone breaks down in a lane, because it can so easily lead to an accident.
    So your argument boils down to this :-

The woman is a touchy feely emotional carer for the environment. Which means she is probably a greenie. Therefore she must believe in global warming. So, ipso facto, anyone who believes in the carbon tax must be thrown into jail for life ?

Actually, there may be something in this....
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

This is the kind of stuff I'm getting at, which the judge put far for eloquently than I:

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinions/2011CSOH74.html

Against that background, I hold that Mr Todd was in part to blame for the accident. I conclude that any emergency on the road was created by his own inattention. By braking hard, Mr Todd was in breach of his duty of care to his fellow road users. He did not adhere to the provisions of the Highway Code. He did not brake early and lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        So your argument boils down to this :-

The woman is a touchy feely emotional carer for the environment. Which means she is probably a greenie. Therefore she must believe in global warming. So, ipso facto, anyone who believes in the carbon tax must be thrown into jail for life ?

Actually, there may be something in this....
        Okay, what now? My argument boils down to something similar to what Lord Woolman thought in the case I posted above.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Okay, what now? My argument boils down to something similar to what Lord Woolman thought in the case I posted above.

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Do you chaps & chapesses only pay attention to the car in front on Motorways?

I'm always looking at least 3-4 cars ahead and watching for any signs of slow down - but then I am a driving God

Didn't help recently on a A road when the dopey bint in front of me decided to do an emergency stop to ask a pedestrian for directions with no thought of the consequences of her actions .. fortunately I have the reactions of a Ninja
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              What happened to the ducks?

They quacked under questioning.
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Do you chaps & chapesses only pay attention to the car in front on Motorways?

I'm always looking at least 3-4 cars ahead and watching for any signs of slow down - but then I am a driving God
                Nope because I'm on the look out for the police in all directions.

I do love it when a fire engine or ambulance with sirens blaring comes behind some people.

You can literally watch them not notice the emergency vehicle for up to 5 minutes while the vehicles in the lanes around them work out how to clear out another lane.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X