• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is watch buying addictive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    I picked up a new Omega SeaMaster a few weeks ago (the coaxial, ceramic bezel one. black dial).

I want another one. When I got into biking I thought it'd be a cheap hobby, but I ended up buying another bike & a van and started doing trackdays etc etc.

Anyone here spent a fortune on watches?
    If by a fortune you mean gazillions of Thai Baht on one of every single one that they have at Chatuchak Market then - Yes!!
    Last edited by cailin maith; 12 June 2014, 10:27. Reason: Spelling!
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

On the basis of this tread I've saved a fortune over the years. my watch broke in 1988 and I've not bothered with one since
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I spent $100 on mine about 12 years ago. Some time back a colleague (sporting an 800 quid <whatever - I've forgotten - TAG, was it?>) sneered at my timepiece and said "You can tell a lot about a man by his wristwatch".

If I could have been bothered I'd have challenged him to produce his findings on that particular study.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          On the basis of this tread I've saved a fortune over the years. my watch broke in 1988 and I've not bothered with one since
          See now this is where I struggle with my addiction, I don't even wear a watch
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm wearing one of those proper cheap watches that are given out in goodie bags. Rubber strap, tiny digital display.
            Youngest got it during a swimming gala and asked why I wasnt wearing it.

Comment

So what do the three little dials inside the main dial do?
              My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post

Does a £3 grand watch make meetings go any faster?
                Perhaps if I can find the laser function. I saw Brosnan using it in Golden Eye.

I wouldn't enjoy wearing a quartz. They're not much cheaper either

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                  So what do the three little dials inside the main dial do?
                  Which watch?

Probably what looks like the second hand is actually the stopwatch, and one of the little dials is the actual seconds, and the other two dials are the minutes & hours for the stopwatch.

My particular seamaster doesn't have any extra dials.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Seriously lusting over this at the moment:

OMEGA Watches: Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon
                    I like that one too. Bit pricey though for the time being.

My next one will likely be the moon watch. But not the one with the plastic front if they still make them, as I'd end up scratching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      A picture of the Breitling model I have, I don't like the new ones so I think my addiction to shiny things is cured

I like a lot of the Breitlings, except they're generally too shiny, and a bit chunky. I've got fairly small wrists and I think they'd be a bit big.

Comment

Working...
                      X