• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UKIP!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Birmingham is fine. Birmingham's children's services department still haunted by 'widespread' failures, says Ofsted - Birmingham Mail

A great place. Perhaps you should try speaking to the working classes who have to share neighbourhoods with immigrants
    Immigrants from the EU?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Yep, but you haven't answered my question; according to the woman from UKIP "You have lots of metropolitan elite that I think cannot really understand the heartache and the pain that many people around the country are feeling"

What is this heartache and pain? How bad is the rest of England? I was in Birmingham only a few weeks ago; seemed OK, in fact it seemed better than 20 years ago.
      Did you hang around the city centre, Selly Oak or Edgbaston?

Or areas such as Kingstanding, Aston, Lozells, Small Heath and Handsworth?
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Immigrants from the EU?
        it is all about perception. Clearly not everyone sees the EU through your rose tinted spectacles. Only the wealthy priviliged few can live in smart areas and take their labour saving skills to all corners of the EU.

The metropolitan elite are those who work for the large corporates and the governing institutions. I would put IT contractors squarely in this class - the difference being that they are better paid and pay less tax than their fellow elite.
        Last edited by DodgyAgent; 23 May 2014, 14:49.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

well whatever UKIP seem to be appealing to many voters that used to vote for the traditional parties.

I suspect having achieved so much support in local elections they are going to be popular at the next General Election.

I suspect UKIP aren't going to appeal to immigrants and descendants of immigrants because one of their central policies is controlling immigration. They won't be able to get their wives & uncles in any more.

They don't appeal to the well off who are benefiting from the EU and don't live in areas heavily populated by low economic value migrants.

They do appear to be popular with the working class who saw Labour import cheap labour and drive wages down then the Tories continue it. Also with the older people who are confused because they are now the only British person in the street.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
            Why the feck do you lot keep believing verbatim the sh1t that comes out of the MSM? You're just puppets.
            Because we heard the interview and heard the interviewer quoting a different UKIP candidate who said exactly that?

BBC News - UKIP message 'not getting through in London'

She is actually one of the people who got voted out in my area.

London doesn't vote UKIP because UKIP doesn't get London, not the other way around. The problem for UKIP in London isn't that people in London are more likely to believe the media, it's that nearly 40% of them are foreign born (which gives London the second largest foreign born population of all the cities in the world BTW). I'd also say that given that particular fact her idea that we are somehow insulated from or unaware of all the problems that immigration supposedly causes is patent bollocks.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              it is all about perception. Clearly not everyone sees the EU through your rose tinted spectacles. Only the wealthy priviliged few can live in smart areas and take their labour saving skills to all corners of the EU.
              Can you explain why it's perfectly OK in your eyes for the wealthy privileged few to have access to all of the other advantages in life that being wealthy and privileged offers but you draw the line at living in a smart area and working in the EU?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                I suspect UKIP aren't going to appeal to immigrants and descendants of immigrants because one of their central policies is controlling immigration. They won't be able to get their wives & uncles in any more.

They don't appeal to the well off who are benefiting from the EU and don't live in areas heavily populated by low economic value migrants.
                So how should they adapt to appeal to those people, given that they'll need to do that to get seats in parliament?

Comment

Aren't the "metropolitan elite" the very people who gentrified inner city ghettoes like Notting Hill and Brixton by going to live among poor immigrants?
                  So maybe that clichéd term actually means something else: perhaps the "metropolitan elite" are the group of open-minded, educated people who are positive about other people and therefore not scared - and hence have no need to believe in UKIPS rhetoric which appeals to negative, scared cretins
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I'd also say that given that particular fact her idea that we are somehow insulated from or unaware of all the problems that immigration supposedly causes is patent bollocks.
                    Quite. There was a prospective UKIP voter wrote in to the paper moaning about immigrants the other day. He came from a rural village in Sussex - looking at the demographics there were no immigrants there.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Aren't the "metropolitan elite" the very people who gentrified inner city ghettoes like Notting Hill and Brixton by going to live among poor immigrants?
                      So maybe that clichéd term actually means something else: perhaps the "metropolitan elite" are the group of open-minded, educated people who are positive about other people and therefore not scared - and hence have no need to believe in UKIPS rhetoric which appeals to negative, scared cretins
                      A bit like the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham; it was just starting to improve (read, become less tulip) when I spent a year living there and now it's the smartest part of town. Bugger; if only I'd bought my bedsit when it was on sale for 10 grand. I'd be minted now.

Comment

Working...
                      X