• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When First Class is Full

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booking a 1st class ticket without paying for a guaranteed reservation is not something a seasoned 1st class traveller would allow.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
      You've got a long day ahead and don't particularly want to rub shoulders with the great unwashed so you treat yourself to a first class ticket at a cost of more than double the standard fare.

Train pulls in and you duly make your way to the 1st class accommodation where you intend to spend the next 1hr30 mins ensconced in a comfy seat, drinking complimentary coffee oblivious to the bedlam in the adjoining 2nd class accommodation.

Except that first class is full. Not a single seat available. So I puff out my chest and make my way down the train to find the SWT gripper.

And you know what he said? Tough titties, or words to that effect. I was expecting that at least he would give me a signed chitty enabling me to reclaim the cost of the difference between 1st class and 2nd class.

This is a disgrace.

You'd have though in this day and age that they'd be able to have a system intelligent enough to not sell the ticket if the seats were all taken
      Standard staff training and ticket machine automation would have issued you with a first class twat ticket and charged accordingly.

Sounds like the system worked perfectly.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        Hmmm... I'm new to the SWT network so not sure how it works but on FGW your 1st upgrade costs the difference between your 2nd class ticket that you have in your hand and the most expensive, hyper-inflated 1st class ticket available (i.e. more than the cost of the 1st class ticket you'd have bought at the station).

UNLESS it's the weekend where they do a 1st upgrade for £15 each way.
        Ah, I should have mentioned, my experience is on East Coast. The upgrade policy and cost on other networks I don't know, but East Coast is very reasonable.

Comment

Currently sat in First on my way home. I have half a carriage to me self, my vodka and tonic has just been replenished and my smoked salmon sandwich was lovely.
          Chris will be round shortly with a coffee refill.
          Oh, and it doesn't cost me a penny.
          Cheers!
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            Currently sat in First on my way home. I have half a carriage to me self, my vodka and tonic has just been replenished and my smoked salmon sandwich was lovely.
            Chris will be round shortly with a coffee refill.
            Oh, and it doesn't cost me a penny.
            Cheers!
            Me too!

Comment

Originally posted by stek
              Second tab: "Russian Women, Ukrainian & Eastern European Women"

Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Second tab: "Russian Women, Ukrainian & Eastern European Women"

It's my mates site! Plus my mrs is Russian!

Comment

oh dear!!!

bought one yet?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    It's my mates site! Plus my mrs is Russian!

Comment

Working...
                    X