• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working with other contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot really think of anyone particularly weird I have worked with. An old manager used to shout and swear a lot but it didn't bother anyone, at least it did not bother me.

Although, that probably means I am the one that everyone else is complaining about!
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      How do you know the client didn't even notice?
      Maybe he did but he got the boot before I did so it made no difference.

Out of interest, surely you dont subscribe to the 'Im a contractor so Im working long days to look good' do you?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Maybe he did but he got the boot before I did so it made no difference.

Out of interest, surely you dont subscribe to the 'Im a contractor so Im working long days to look good' do you?
        I'll often volunteer to take on things that seem hard to others, or that I know little about, cos I enjoy the challenge more than just doing the same thing over and over. It does mean sometimes I bite off a bit more than I can chew and end up working longer days to catch up, I generally don't mind that as I've cherry picked the interesting (to me) work and enjoy it, plus as I've gone on I've got better at guesstimating so I get caught out less often. I'm not a fan of long hours generally though, I consider it a sign of bad planning.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I'll often volunteer to take on things that seem hard to others, or that I know little about, cos I enjoy the challenge more than just doing the same thing over and over. It does mean sometimes I bite off a bit more than I can chew and end up working longer days to catch up, I generally don't mind that as I've cherry picked the interesting (to me) work and enjoy it, plus as I've gone on I've got better at guesstimating so I get caught out less often. I'm not a fan of long hours generally though, I consider it a sign of bad planning.
          +1

Sometimes you have to put the hours in to get to do the cool things.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            I cannot really think of anyone particularly weird I have worked with. An old manager used to shout and swear a lot but it didn't bother anyone, at least it did not bother me.

Although, that probably means I am the one that everyone else is complaining about!
            Depends if you sit in the office with your sword out !!!

Comment

Check out my "contractor bob" thread.

Thought he could get away with working 5 hour days, that came back and bit him in the Ass when PM checked the swipe logs.

Was costing the company £500/day (mind he was only getting £350 of it!). Let go after 3 months and we are still cleaning up his mess till this very day.....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

Thought he could get away with working 5 hour days, that came back and bit him in the Ass when PM checked the swipe logs.

Was costing the company £500/day (mind he was only getting £350 of it!). Let go after 3 months and we are still cleaning up his mess till this very day.....
                He'd fit in well at BSkyB
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  He'd fit in well at BSkyB
                  4.5 hours of those were spent on the phone, in the canteen or away from his desk. The effective rate was £700/hour.

Comment

Ah. Thats the one.

Still disagree that its right to be a splitter like this.

Comment

4.5 hours of those were spent on the phone, in the canteen or away from his desk. The effective rate was £700/hour.
                      If you added in dump time to mine it wouldnt be good.

Comment

Working...
                      X