• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway speeds: Get used to driving at 40mph

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    It's a different ball game in South East and London. Unless you do 11-7 or 12 - 8 then you will hit serious traffic.
    I don't know....the m60 is pretty shocking. When I was on my last role I had to commute between Rochdale and Warrington. I'd get to my car for about 6:45 to 7 am and it would take about 10 mins to get to the motorway. It was already queuing by then. This didn't seem to disperse until well after 10. Usually I'd drive into the middle of Manchester city centre and back out along the M602 rather than crawl round the M60 - even if it took as long as the M60 the fact that I was moving was a benefit - often it was quicker. Helps when you know the rat runs in Manchester though!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Not so bad in parts of Wales. Went to site once years ago in rural Powys and jokingly asked what traffoc was like in rush hour.

They told me avoid certain time because farmer in next village moves his sheep across the road to his other field some days.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        What many people don't realise judging by the comments in that article (although it's quite well documented) is that dense fast moving traffic experiences chaotic shockwaves similar to a sonic boom. It travels in the opposite direction to the traffic and usually causes the flow to come to a halt. The point of reducing speed lmits is to prevent this happening, which reduces the overall journey time through a given busy stretch.

To put it simply, you just can't get that much traffic to flow at 70mph down that road. The above mentioned phenomena will prevent you from doing so.
        Car trains would be another option.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          I don't know....the m60 is pretty shocking. When I was on my last role I had to commute between Rochdale and Warrington. I'd get to my car for about 6:45 to 7 am and it would take about 10 mins to get to the motorway. It was already queuing by then. This didn't seem to disperse until well after 10. Usually I'd drive into the middle of Manchester city centre and back out along the M602 rather than crawl round the M60 - even if it took as long as the M60 the fact that I was moving was a benefit - often it was quicker. Helps when you know the rat runs in Manchester though!
          Manchester is 100x easier than London. You just need to know the right routes and whether it is worth getting the tram or train. Commute daily on M60 and 95% of the time it is clear unless there has been an accident.

Comment

It's a different ball game in South East and London. Unless you do 11-7 or 12 - 8 then you will hit serious traffic.
            You can escape traffic if you like driving at 6.30am. Though you need to have a client who doesn't mind you being in around 7am and leaving before 5pm. Though you have to time your departure for the gap between school kick out time and normal rush hour.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Not so bad in parts of Wales. Went to site once years ago in rural Powys and jokingly asked what traffoc was like in rush hour.

They told me avoid certain time because farmer in next village moves his sheep across the road to his other field some days.
              No-one speeds in North Wales. The Heddlu make the SS look like amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                No-one speeds in North Wales. The Heddlu make the SS look like amateurs.
                If you speed you may run over sheep, there as in London whether you speed or not some pedestrian walks out in front of you to try and kill themselves.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

M60 Anti clockwise, M66 and M65: average speed of 70mph often hitting 90mph. This was at the peak of rush hour. Beat that.
                  As far as incriminating yourself for speeding, I can't

Comment

What's that?
                    The short cut from M66 to M65, B6232.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      If you speed you may run over sheep, there as in London whether you speed or not some pedestrian walks out in front of you to try and kill themselves.
                      +1000

I always feel the biggest problem with cycling in London is not car drivers. Its the pedestrians.

Comment

Working...
                      X