• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why open plan offices suck

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked down a sewer for a year after leaving poly so most offices are OK for me. One exception; rooms without windows. I don't like that at all; might be a consequence of getting trapped under a manhole for what felt like days but was actually an hour when someone went off for lunch without telling me, for which he recieved summary dismissal from the boss; golden rule in sewage is to never leave a man on his own and never close up the manhole until everyone's been counted in and out. Bloody pillock.

On the whole though I agree that open plan is not such a good idea as it's cracked up to be.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Never really bothers me. I have not noticed any loud talkers or other issues people mention. One bank in London was a bit of hassle because there were so many of us crowded in that you had very little personal space. I could not stretch my arms out without hitting the people either side of me.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I hate open plan, can never concentrate and everyone walks up and asks stupid questions because I know the answer.

Did a stint in open plan for a year drove me crazy. It seems to be about control & communication,

I have had an office either singular or shared with one other (I have been lucky with my companions) the worst one was where the back stairs were used as a toilet by truck drivers parking outside overnight. My office was by the back stairs on the first floor
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          I hate open plan, can never concentrate and everyone walks up and asks stupid questions because I know the answer.
          I have a magic phrase that can help you, but you might need to use it for a couple of weeks before it works. But it will work, and when it does it's a great relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            I have a magic phrase that can help you, but you might need to use it for a couple of weeks before it works. But it will work, and when it does it's a great relief.
            shut up & invoice?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              shut up & invoice?
              I don't know.

Comment

I worked in an open plan office, opposite problem from you though. It was deathly quiet, no one spoke at all. I did get lots done but you do need to take a break from your work even if only to have a quick chat or joke with someone. I didn't renew the contract mainly because it was so boring and exhausting to work there.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  Always worked in open plan offices, so I guess I'm used to it.

Sucks when you have to sit near a loud talker. ...
                  Or worse still a loud cougher.

There's a guy sitting behind me (facing away mercifully) who coughs like a TB victim, and he doesn't even smoke, the sick twat!

A month ago it was practically non-stop all day, although it seems to be improving slightly now and he just has a coughing fit in the afternoon.

I wish he would either just hurry up and get better or else die with a good grace and give us some peace and quiet!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I worked in an open plan office, opposite problem from you though. It was deathly quiet, no one spoke at all. I did get lots done but you do need to take a break from your work even if only to have a quick chat or joke with someone. I didn't renew the contract mainly because it was so boring and exhausting to work there.
                    It's often like that where I am now. I'd also rather have a bit of background noise and chatter, within reason. It's 8 of us here, but I worked in an open plan office with about 40 people, some of whom were making phone calls all day, and that didn't bother me at all.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

were open plan and have the radio on + free Drinks / Fruit all day

Comment

Working...
                      X