• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean up boy at fruit n veg store
    Running games etc at local leaisure centre for kids in school holidays.... (I used to smoke out of the fire door of the sports hall!!!)
    Cleaning at above leasiure centre (cushy number as was council work so I was on £6.60 per hour on Sundays - and this was back in 1989!!)
    Bar work/Factory work when a student
    Recruitment Consultant
    Warehouse Supervisor
    Service Manager
    PM/BA/AA
    Big Cheese

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Clean up boy at fruit n veg store
      Running games etc at local leaisure centre for kids in school holidays.... (I used to smoke out of the fire door of the sports hall!!!)
      Cleaning at above leasiure centre (cushy number as was council work so I was on £6.60 per hour on Sundays - and this was back in 1989!!)
      Bar work/Factory work when a student
      Recruitment Consultant
      Warehouse Supervisor
      Service Manager
      PM/BA/AA
      Big Cheese
      Hang on a minute.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        Hang on a minute.
        Nope I was - fresh out of Uni

I needed the money don't judge me.....

it was either that or more 'movies'

and I did not like the taste!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          and I did not like the taste!
          So before that you were a rent boy?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            No he said he didn't like the taste.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              no.

although the hole post was a bit tongue in cheek

Comment

Mine was for a medical research unit up in Park Royal next to the Guinness factory.

I remember my first day very well as I was taken under the wing of a chap called Martin who was the systems administrator.

He ran a tight ship did Martin. We each had to execute a special login.com every morning under his supervision to gain us access to his Vax/VMS machine which sat in the corner of the room behind one of those velvet rope cordons that divides the altar from everything else in a church. Martin always added an interesting little ditty that would pop up after running the login.com - a thought for the day or such like to inspire us in our work and it always began with "Did you know?...". He would also stand over us at the end of the day to ensure that we issued the correct commands to logoff from his system in the manner that he saw fit.

The job wasn't without its lighter moments though. I'd watched 2001 A Space Odyssey on a number of occasions but I'd never been aware of the significance of the name HAL. It took Martin to join up those dots for me. He wrote down the letters H-A-L on a piece of paper and told me to think about what those letters really meant. I sat there blank faced until Martin asked "Give up?" and then Martin put his pen back to the paper and transposed each letter in the sequence to give I-B-M. It's the little things like that that one remembers - the man truly was an inspiration, a great teacher and had a lasting effect on my subsequent career.

Here's to you Martin wherever you are...

Comment

Paper boy in the early 90's.

£15 a week for 4 mornings, I felt rich!

Comment

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

16 y/o summer job, in a cardboard factory

stuck at the end of a cardboard corrugater it was 35 degree according to the thermometre they put on the end of the machine just to torture you

thought i was too hard for gloves so managed 2 days loaded freshly cut sheets of cardboard onto palettes for 10 hours a day before my hands were cut to shreds

was paid £1.51 per hour this was 1997

decided there and then the physical labour wasn't for me and i'd be seeking a cushy office number

Comment

Working...
                      X