• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to Duindorp, where it's ok to harass the foreigners.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed. The silliest thing about all this is the one sided nature of the arguments. Minorities all tend to go places where they can be with people of their own ethnicity. Some are unwilling to mix with others and hostility to others is not that unusual. Yet only white people are called racist for what is perfectly normal human behaviour, preferring the company of people like themselves.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Indeed. The silliest thing about all this is the one sided nature of the arguments. Minorities all tend to go places where they can be with people of their own ethnicity. Some are unwilling to mix with others and hostility to others is not that unusual. Yet only white people are called racist for what is perfectly normal human behaviour, preferring the company of people like themselves.
      Did you bother to click on the link that norrahe posted?

Islam is a religion not a race or ethnicity just like Christianity. So Muslims like Christians come in all different colours including Ginger Celtic looking ones......
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

All the cited examples deal with long-established minorities. The facts in Duindorp are related to foreign citizens.

So, I seem to understand, the general consensus is that it's ok to throw stones at the foreigners' windows.

Why stop here? Why not beat them? Or kill them.
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Did you bother to click on the link that norrahe posted?
          Islam is a religion not a race or ethnicity just like Christianity. So Muslims like Christians come in all different colours including Ginger Celtic looking
          Don't derive "facts" from a click on a DM link. Of course there are the occasional ginger haired/whatever Muslims but very, very few in the UK are not of minority, especially South Asian, descent.

The DM is very PC at times, probably trying to counter its image, by playing up such negligible involvement of white Brits in terrorism or militant Islamism. If you want real facts, try the Guardian, BBC or Independent.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 21 April 2014, 17:30.
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The facts in Duindorp are related to foreign citizens
            Supposedly but from my reading of what the residents actually said, I think "foreigners" just includes anyone not like them, I rather doubt they are actually welcoming people of dark complexion provided they have a valid NL passport.
            bloggoth

Comment

Leaving aside major issues like extremism, there is nothing positive about having communities that do not interact, no matter how law abiding they each may be.

A sense of community and a willingness to get involved with others are very important things. In our village and I suppose many other small communities, it's amazing how people are willing to help out when necessary. When bad things happen, people you thought of as acquaintances become friends. When you have people with very different views on major issues, who often speak different languages, all that vanishes.

For all the hopeful talk about "integration", "multiculturalism" and now "cohesion", the reality on the ground appears to be that Britain's Muslim Asian community and its white community have few points of contact, and that the white majority often feel they share little in common with the growing Muslim Asian minority.
              BBC NEWS | Programmes | Panorama | White Fright
              Last edited by xoggoth; 21 April 2014, 17:55.
              bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Leaving aside major issues like extremism, there is nothing positive about having communities that do not interact, no matter how law abiding they each may be.

A sense of community and a willingness to get involved with others are very important things. In our village and I suppose many other small communities, it's amazing how people are willing to help out when necessary. When bad things happen, people you thought of as acquaintances become friends. When you have people with very different views on major issues, who often speak different languages, all that vanishes.

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Panorama | White Fright

Do you have or ever had neighbours who aren't the same skin colour and/or religion as you?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Vote UKIP!
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Do you have or ever had neighbours who aren't the same skin colour and/or religion as you?
                    Yes, but relevance of question? Not too hot on grasping points are you? It isn't about skin colour or religion as such (although they play a part in defining "our" culture) but a willingness to interact with others in a community, not just those in a narrowly defined section of it.

Too many well off and educated people, like contractors, tend to draw wrong conclusions from their own experiences of similarly well off and educated people. Education and prosperity are great for reducing divisions. Never aware of any cultural divides in all my contracting years.

Such experiences are not necessarily typical of those experienced by the majority, try reading that BBC article.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X