• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Improbable Highs When Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, best feeling in contracting is when the agent phones after an interview and says - you are in, pure adrenaline and ego boost, everything after that point is usually a disappointment !

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
      Nah, best feeling in contracting is when the agent phones after an interview and says - you are in, pure adrenaline and ego boost, everything after that point is usually a disappointment !
      True say!

Even better is when you are talking to one agent about an offer and you have another agent calling you at the same time (with an anticipated second offer!). Has happened to me twice and I was like: "Man I am in demand!"

I could feel the phone vibrating with text messages and voice mails while speaking to the first agent!

Comment

2 things happened here recently that made me laugh.
        They ran a large number of people down to last day recently and most just nodded but one chap got approached in a 'you are lucky, we have pulled up trees but managed to get you sorted for another 3 months' Like they were doing him a favour, to which he responded -
        'Oh, ok, I am fine thanks, new job starts Monday' This leaves a massive gap in the work.
        Another chap started a week ago, programme lead. Came in the following Monday, said look ' I have spent 7 days analysing all the requirements for this work, alongside the resources and the timescales being imposed without any reference to what is technical possible and I conclude there is NO chance this workstream will be successful so I am walking, thanks for your time'
        Just wish I had the 'stones' to do this as it is exactly the same situation I am in !

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
          2 things happened here recently that made me laugh.
          They ran a large number of people down to last day recently and most just nodded but one chap got approached in a 'you are lucky, we have pulled up trees but managed to get you sorted for another 3 months' Like they were doing him a favour, to which he responded -
          'Oh, ok, I am fine thanks, new job starts Monday' This leaves a massive gap in the work.
          Another chap started a week ago, programme lead. Came in the following Monday, said look ' I have spent 7 days analysing all the requirements for this work, alongside the resources and the timescales being imposed without any reference to what is technical possible and I conclude there is NO chance this workstream will be successful so I am walking, thanks for your time'
          Just wish I had the 'stones' to do this as it is exactly the same situation I am in !
          I gotta say, that is brilliant. The 3 month thing also happened to me on a previous contract... it is certainly the best feeling when the client thinks they're doing you a favour with a minor extension, and you can turn around and say "No thanks" and walk into a higher paying contract right after!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            True say!

Even better is when you are talking to one agent about an offer and you have another agent calling you at the same time (with an anticipated second offer!). Has happened to me twice and I was like: "Man I am in demand!"

I could feel the phone vibrating with text messages and voice mails while speaking to the first agent!
            Never happened to me. All my offers have come within 15 - 30 minutes of the interview, either while in the car or waiting for a train home. I guess my clients have been a bit more eagre to get me in than yours are

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
              Never happened to me. All my offers have come within 15 - 30 minutes of the interview, either while in the car or waiting for a train home. I guess my clients have been a bit more eagre to get me in than yours are
              Except I usually time my interviews to be one after the other and the offers come in the same day. Now who is

Comment

Except I usually time my interviews to be one after the other and the offers come in the same day. Now who is
                Although you've generally accepted and started the first contract by the time you've had the interview for the second.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                  Although you've generally accepted and started the first contract by the time you've had the interview for the second.
                  Do I know you?

Comment

Do I know you?
                    I know you.
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                      Bail out time ;-)
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X