• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Went to buy a house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I've always thought it better to concentrate on earning the moolah to pay someone experienced to do stuff like that, but I must admit that managing building workers is more of a pain than I thought, and that observation seems to apply worldwide.
    WHS

Those who say otherwise should open their wallet and check famous words on £20 note... if they got one!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      WHS

Those who say otherwise should open their wallet and check famous words on £20 note... if they got one!
      OK I give up. No Sterling in my wallet and can't find any readable images on the web.

What are the famous words you refer to?
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I assume the Adam Smith £20 note.

Historical character -
        Adam Smith (1723 - 1790) is one of the fathers of modern economics. In one of his great works, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, Smith famously used the example of workers in a pin factory to describe the benefits created by the division of labour, and, as explained on the note, 'the great increase in the quantity of work that results'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulder View Post
          I assume the Adam Smith £20 note.
          Aye

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            You should never underestimate how much neighbours can annoy you nowadays - better to get a detached.
            +1000 to the above.

Just across from my maisonette is an old bastard who is hard of hearing. As a result he has his TV on full blast, the old cows around me are scared tulipless of this tozzer so don't complain. Unfortunately, my maisonette doesn't deal well with flanking noise so I get the full force of the bastard's TV volume. Have complained numerous times which works for a few days but then the volume creeps back up...

I don't mind it early evening etc but the noise carries on until 1am, he's a real ignorant fvckhead.

My next property will be an old detached.
            "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Potter View Post
              I don't mind it early evening etc but the noise carries on until 1am, he's a real ignorant fvckhead. My next property will be an old detached.
              Well, I normally blast my TV until 3am so that should not be a problem.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                You should never underestimate how much neighbours can annoy you nowadays - better to get a detached.
                Even if you have a decent set of neighbours when you move in, new ones could arrive to make your life hell.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

WHS with bells on!

DIY me? Just as likely as DUI
                  Then you can customise your house to suit you.

Around my way someone buys a house then the builders come in for a few months to a year. In some cases they knock the house down and rebuild it. Then they wait about 3 years and sell it. Then the next person calls the builders in.......
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Around my way someone buys a house then the builders come in for a few months to a year. In some cases they knock the house down and rebuild it. Then they wait about 3 years and sell it. Then the next person calls the builders in.......
                    Do you live in Span?

Sounds like it - stupid Englishman buys cheap house, then it gets demolished by local council because there was no planning permission and later sold again to next stupid

Comment

Do you live in Span?

Sounds like it - stupid Englishman buys cheap house, then it gets demolished by local council because there was no planning permission and later sold again to next stupid
                      I don't live in Span or Spain.

I live near some extremely wealthy people who are stupid.

However the really wealthy ones are the owners of the building companies, some of the trades and some of the estate agents who repeatedly end up doing or selling the same houses.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X