• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family cars....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    wow quite a lot of posts on here since I last checked!

aside from the entertaining humour you would expect in General, some excellent points made.

I was wanting to do the impossible - big car + economical. I am thinking to adopt an approach another poster mentioned earlier. When current car of Mrs NWP2C dies we will replace it with a nice big SUV (Q7/X5 most likely). I will replace my current car with something that continues to make large amounts of profit for my business and me personally (through mileage). Current car is costing me 20p/mile to run and I am claiming 45p/mile for most of the year. Perhaps getting a low mileage older BMW diesel (under 8k) would make more sense and then keep the money for the eventual large SUV in a year or two......
    Peugeot 5008 with 1.6 Diesel is big and economical, so it's not impossible. You just don't want it and that's OK. But it's not impossible so you need to better state your requirements.

Comment

Trying to pick the right car but only stick to the standard two makes when the competition is a much better option does look a bit.. dunno the word, pretentious.

Bit pointless you asking when you knew you were going to buy a VW or BMW really. Editing your original request to put a reality spin on it for you so we have half a chance of helping.

- Decent space in the back
      - Don't lose the sport aspect (nice drive, look, interior)
      - Very Economical and doesn't cost much to run
      - Good re-sale value
      - Good boot space, practical
      - Reliable and robust
      - 15-20k
      - Must be a BMW or VW. Image to keep innt
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Trying to pick the right car but only stick to the standard two makes when the competition is a much better option does look a bit.. dunno the word, pretentious.

Bit pointless you asking when you knew you were going to buy a VW or BMW really. Editing your original request to put a reality spin on it for you so we have half a chance of helping.
        He missed out reliability. He never knows form one week to the next where he'll be working so it's got to be up to the job.

Comment

I really am not into image even if it might seem that way.....

I really like the BMW drive and seating position. Find me a car that drives and feels the same as it and I will buy it. I guess you are right - those requirements are out of the window now as I have changed my way of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

To be fare I have been very frugal in my first 4 years of contracting - firstly saving to buy a house, secondly sticking with initially 1 and then 2 cheap cars.... The expensive SUV won't cost much as the whole idea is it is a local car and for weekends. The other car will be low mileage and cheaper to maintain than a high mileage BMW. Surely you got it a bit wrong there SAS?
            Do you even know what you're saying?
            Look, its obvious you need a big car to make up for your small penis.
            It's also obvious you're not a keen driver, but a badge snob, so why waste our time?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I still think the Range Rover is a winner for image if that is what he is after.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I still think the Range Rover is a winner for image.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I still think the Range Rover is a winner for image if that is what he is after.
                  Screams lottery-winning chav to me.
                  Marginally better than the Q7 which shouts "I've made a fortune from my cash-and-carry, innit"
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Do you even know what you're saying?
                    Look, its obvious you need a big car to make up for your small penis.
                    It's also obvious you're not a keen driver, but a badge snob, so why waste our time?
                    Urban Dictionary: dim prawn

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Screams lottery-winning chav to me.
                      Marginally better than the Q7 which shouts "I've made a fortune from my cash-and-carry, innit"
                      So it's the right image then.

Although I'm not sure what's wrong with making your money from a cash and carry. It's honest graft.

Comment

Working...
                      X