• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Removing a squatter from my reserved train seat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to do the East Coast mainline quite a lot.

The bishops of York and Durham would sometimes get on. They always had standard class tickets, and the train staff always moved them into first class for free. They would act reluctant but always went.

Comment

There is always loads of room in first class
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        When I was commuting on the Birmingham to Euston route, I could almost always get a seat in an unclaimed reserved seat.
        And yet there are still those amongst us that will contend that reeking of cabbage and dressing like a mad parrot is a bad thing.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          In that case the train company has let you down. I wouldnt give up the seat if it wasn't ticketed, as I could have found one which wasn't ticketed if it had been done.
          Next time you come on a train with a broken leg or more likely an arthritic knee, and I'm in your seat remind me not to get up.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Next time you come on a train with a broken leg or more likely an arthritic knee, and I'm in your seat remind me not to get up.
            What does an injury have to do with anything?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              What does an injury have to do with anything?
              There are many reasons people reserve seats and a lot of the people I know who it because they aren't so able-bodied some of which isn't immediately visible i.e. screwed up knees.

So if the train company screws up there is no need for you to be a prick.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                I thought the guy looked fairly well dressed for a Vicar. He apologised and stood up smiling
                My advice - if you see a Vodou priest in your seat let him have it...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  My advice - if you see a Vodou priest in your seat let him have it...
                  Yep, with both barrels!
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    There are many reasons people reserve seats and a lot of the people I know who it because they aren't so able-bodied some of which isn't immediately visible i.e. screwed up knees.

So if the train company screws up there is no need for you to be a prick.
                    In that case they have the option to politely explain that they have difficulty standing. Failing that I'm not volunteering my seat when the guy has no more claim to it than I do (the train company promised to reserve it for him - they didn't) and my round-trip commute is over 6 hours daily, as it was for the 6 months prior to this gig.

Comment

If someone has a valid reservation it's not their problem the train company didn't advertise this, surely.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X