• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed - but not sure I want to be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    I'm in a similar position - the rate here is rubbish compared to what I'm used to - was on 450 a day in london and now on 280, but its commutable so that saves me about 100 a day. I spotted an advert for a role at this place with a similar skill set to mine and I applied. The people I work for then said that thye will increase my rate and tag an extra couple of months onto my current contract. I assumed that this extra would have been within the rate range of this other job, 320 -350 but I found out yesterday that they were planning to give me an extra 20, so still fairly low. On Wednesday I had a telephone interview which went well so I might well be offered another role today for a job that isn't commutable, but one where i could get back a couple of nights a week. The rate on the new role is not great (375) but its a fair bit more than the increased one - Ok I'll have to fund 2 nights in a hotel but I should still be pulling in 1000 a month more on this other job compared to my current one.
    I find this very interesting and glad I'm not alone. My rate is modest but I work from home. Sometimes I get frustrated about my rate and have to remind myself that I have a 30-seconds commute which costs me nothing. The alternative would be a 2-hours (each way) commute to London at a cost of £100. So is a cost of 4 hours and £100 per day worth an additional £150-£200 per day earned? For me, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Well you're damn well getting a even if you don't want it!

You know what to do; take the extension and use the time to look around. Anyway, if it's a good place to work then chances are you can put some good stuff on your CV as a result.
      Aye. Been doing that for 3 months though!

Its a good place to work as in the people, environment, flexibility, easy going etc. In terms of stuff on CV, different but not so brilliant.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        Never mind old buddy it's all about taking the rough with the smooth, besides I'm sure it pays more than most jobs in Wales

Well done
        Aye. By far. Its not in Wales BTW - I am an international commuter.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          He should be because he's Welsh, but he maybe slightly English which is probably why he comes across as miserable
          No way matey. Valley commando me.

Comment

Better than a crap rate and a place you can't stand!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Aye. Been doing that for 3 months though!

Its a good place to work as in the people, environment, flexibility, easy going etc. In terms of stuff on CV, different but not so brilliant.
              Well, my rate went up and up until the 'Great Banking Bugger Up' (TM) and have gone up and down since, and at the moment I'm on an OK but not brilliant rate working largely away from home, but enjoying the work and the people at clientco, so I look at it this way; contracting is no longer a passport to a high income, a new flash car on the business and meals out in the best restaurants, but it still gives me variety and the pleasure of knowing I don't have a boss. Some contracts pay very well indeed, some don't but the people and the work are great, occasionally the two are combined, and occasionally it can be tulip on a tulip rate, but I think through experience I've got better at detecting the last category and turning them down.
              Last edited by Mich the Tester; 7 March 2014, 09:14.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

In these situations the money may not be great but just enjoy the fact your at a decent place. I've worked at enough places with bad managers, staff, enviroment, commute etc which has annoyed/frustrated me. So make the most of the break from it thats how I would look at it.

You have a weeks notice so can keep looking over those 3 months for another one that may suit better for money. You are in an ideal situation really.

Comment

Personally up to now I've been a rate whore and that's led me down here to the city where I'm on the best rate I've ever had, but I don't plan on being here forever and would gladly cut my rate to work from home or closer to home. It does however help that the role here involves the thing I love most (test automation) and the client are one of the best I've had, eventually when I've built up a good enough reputation here (London) I'll insist on being able to work from home, well that's the plan.
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

So really it is more of a semi Doomed than a Boomed.

Comment

Enjoying a contract nearly always trumps crap rates for me, which is lucky as I'm on a crap rate. So here is a bloody

Comment

Working...
                      X