• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tulip Rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's OK for graduates who need a portfolio and can get regular work at that rate. Otherwise it could end up falling short of a perm salary with lots of dry periods factored in between contracts (although maybe at that rate there wouldn't be!).

If it's local and a long contract it could be worth it. It is I think a tad too low though. Not as bad as the agent who not only called but text and emailed me continually offering a £175pd rate for something miles away. And yes I told him he was having a laugh and where to take the rate from the off!

Comment

A year or two ago I got a call from an agent offering £300pd in central London for someone with 10 years of C++ and investment banking knowledge.

I laughed ... however, now things seem to have gotten worse!
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I always base my rate on:

Type of work
        Expenses

Type of work can be quite a big one as I wouldn't expect the client to pay as much for manual testing as they would for automation or performance testing, so it can vary quite a bit I've seen gigs in London for £250 a day for automation but I doubt anyone in their right mind would take them, as I hear trying to find dev's in test for roles is like looking for rocking horse tulipe at the moment.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Rates do appeared to have gone soft more so in central London / city, there is alot more people around these days who will take these rate. I was looking to go back contracting and quit my permy role but the rates around at moment doesnt make it worth it.
          I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Good grief, here's an example for you:

Mobile Application Developer
            Duration: Contract
            Rate: £150 - 250
            Length: 2 months (with a view to extend)

Comment

Working...
            X