• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I Work With a Pedant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Aren't you familiar with RegisterClientScript in asp.net web forms?
    Not specifically.

Having just foogled it, it appears you are thinking in reverse to me.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

This is all in all a very interesting thread but all I want to know is 'When am I getting my app.'
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
        Maybe edge case was the wrong term to use, especially when there are testers listening in!

As an example, I injected some JavaScript from a server control - to do this you register the script using a unique key. In this instance I used a string literal as the key. His argument was that we should be dynamically building the key to ensure uniqueness. Well, yes it's best practice but in a piece of code that is completely self contained and will only ever inject this one script then why bother? Why introduce extra logic? It isn't going to break anything and we need to get this out the door pronto.

Another obsession of his is people on slow connections. He took time out to redesign buttons on another part of the site (for which he had no remit) to change the colour of their backgrounds while the page was loading so the user could read the button text.

Again, fair enough but the whole site is a warts and all application and his fine tuning everything is just holding us up.

Fortunately, the client is aware of this as I have his ear on this one.
        So the issue is that he wants to do the thing right, and you want to do it quickly?

What happens if the string isn't unique? What are the implications if you are wrong, even though you "know" that you aren't?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          This is all in all a very interesting thread but all I want to know is 'When am I getting my app.'
          March 1st
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            March 1st
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

So who's going to do the appallingly in bad taste "I work with a pedo" thread?

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                You're kidding.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                  paedo

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                    So the issue is that he wants to do the thing right, and you want to do it quickly?

What happens if the string isn't unique? What are the implications if you are wrong, even though you "know" that you aren't?
                    If the script is already registered with the given type and key, any other with the same type and key will not get registered. Nothing else in this application registers client script though. If it were a requirement then they could do it with another unique string literal. Writing logic to build some unique string is overkill IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      GG just wants to hit a deadline and put a pin in the quality. I know of plenty of contractors like that. The 80/20 brigade.

I suppose in this case, each edge case would have to be risk assessed to see if it would make the project miss the deadline, which in this case sounds like it carries some significant penalty.

I wonder how the execs would feel if the deadline was missed because of an edge case that in reality meant bugger all?

Need a process in place to triage these edge cases. Then you are diligent and efficient, and have MTT off your case
                      Ah yes. When faced with a critical deadline, start creating lots of documentation.
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X