• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HD Felix Baumgartners space jump

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Oh dear -

No it will not. Both objects shall hit the ground at the same time for as long as they occupy the same gravitational field.
    You can't talk about shooting bullets horizontally and dropping stones while assuming that they will 'occupy the same gravitational field'. BUT... if we assume that differences in gravitational field strength are negligible up to very high altitudes, then you're still wrong.

Drop a stone from felix's balloon, and shoot another at high speed horizontally. Suppose no atmosphere (a vacuum) for simplicity. Are you telling me both will hit the ground at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      You can't talk about shooting bullets horizontally and dropping stones while assuming that they will 'occupy the same gravitational field'. BUT... if we assume that differences in gravitational field strength are negligible up to very high altitudes, then you're still wrong.

Drop a stone from felix's balloon, and shoot another at high speed horizontally. Suppose no atmosphere (a vacuum) for simplicity. Are you telling me both will hit the ground at the same time?
      If you also ignore the curvature of the earth then yes.

Comment

Which Hits The Ground First?

Here you go,

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          If you also ignore the curvature of the earth then yes.
          Which wouldn't make any sense when it was the mechanics of achieving orbit which sparked the discussion in the first place.

If 'sideways' motion had no effect the the astronauts would fall like stones fro the sky straight down to their deaths.

Comment

Here you go,

no one is arguing with this.

but what happens if you throw one sideways, or up ?
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Here you go,

Ok, fine. My troll sense is weak today.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                Which wouldn't make any sense when it was the mechanics of achieving orbit which sparked the discussion in the first place.

If 'sideways' motion had no effect the the astronauts would fall like stones fro the sky straight down to their deaths.
                Yes indeed.
                I guess the point is that if you fire a bullet horizontally from Baumgartners's capsule, that bullet will be going at, say, 1000mph. Which is much less than the 16,000 mph that it would require to stay in orbit. At 1000mph the effect of the curvature of the earth would be there, but small, resulting in the bullet hitting the ground a little later than the object dropped stationary, but not by very much (again assuming zero air resistance).

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  Yes indeed.
                  I guess the point is that if you fire a bullet horizontally from Baumgartners's capsule, that bullet will be going at, say, 1000mph. Which is much less than the 16,000 mph that it would require to stay in orbit. At 1000mph the effect of the curvature of the earth would be there, but small, resulting in the bullet hitting the ground a little later than the object dropped stationary, but not by very much (again assuming zero air resistance).
                  Muzzle velocity of the SA-80 is 940 meters per second if I remember right, so just over half a mile per second.
                  So from felix's height that makes about 50 miles + any extra for earth's curvature (i.e. hardly any difference as you say). About 30 feet.

**edit** that is - 30 feet extra drop, over a 50-ish mile horizontal flight.
                  Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 2 February 2014, 19:51. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
                  X