• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

144mph speeding A19 drivers given suspended jail terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those sorts of speeds can be okay-ish in certain circumstances on a motorway with its grade separated junctions, carriageway dividers, restrictions on vehicle types and no pedestrians. If it's also legal and where the roads have those speeds designed into them then all the better.

Some parts of this road are grade separated and the section of road shown on the BBC clip did have crash barriers dividing the carriageways but at 144 mph you'll be through those and out in no time. Doing these speeds on an A road where there could be Farmer Giles pulling out with his trailer full of hay, pedestrians pottering around, bikes (motor and otherwise), etc. is madness and I think a suspended sentence is letting them off lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Did a 164mph on the autobahn the other month without a court case or suspended jail term. Managed to shave 12 minutes of the tom tom arrival time

The lead driver should have pleaded innocent, and demonstrated the car was safe to drive at that speed.

BBC News - 144mph speeding A19 drivers given suspended jail terms
      Ho hum. Small boy here I think. Not being funny but I grew out of bombing around in my car as fast as I could when I was about 20 yet you still think its cool. Grow up.

I hope it never happens to you but I can tell you that you will change your attutide overnight if a family member or friend is ever involved in an accident caused by a bellend with this attitude.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Interesting he measures in mph, not kph, bit of billy bullshiite going on here I think. And not many cars do 164mph, but of course OP probably has a Ferrari or Alpina or something.

I did an indicated 140mph in my 1988 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso on the M6 very straight bit before Penrith sometime in 2002, reality it was probably 120mph due to speedos going way off over 100, 2:00am, no cars about and I felt no pride in it, in fact, I realised almost immediately it was a bloody stupid thing to do.

Not something I'm proud of.
        Someone else sensible...

Comment

Originally posted by GreyWolf View Post
          Those sorts of speeds can be okay-ish in certain circumstances on a motorway with its grade separated junctions, carriageway dividers, restrictions on vehicle types and no pedestrians. If it's also legal and where the roads have those speeds designed into them then all the better.

Some parts of this road are grade separated and the section of road shown on the BBC clip did have crash barriers dividing the carriageways but at 144 mph you'll be through those and out in no time. Doing these speeds on an A road where there could be Farmer Giles pulling out with his trailer full of hay, pedestrians pottering around, bikes (motor and otherwise), etc. is madness and I think a suspended sentence is letting them off lightly.
          I assumed the road was a dual carriageway - dont know the area. If not, then they should have had 10 years in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Ho hum. Small boy here I think. Not being funny but I grew out of bombing around in my car as fast as I could when I was about 20 yet you still think its cool. Grow up.

I hope it never happens to you but I can tell you that you will change your attutide overnight if a family member or friend is ever involved in an accident caused by a bellend with this attitude.
            Speed matters. The faster the better.

I do not advocate dangerous driving.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              That part of the A19 is dangerous at 70mph let alone 140mph. and I'm usually happy to do 90+ on the A1M...
              WHS, it's a stressful road. There are frequent 'cross-roads' so you can exit the road by turning right across the other carriageway (on a busy 70mph dual carriageway road) and it's very common to find a tractor suddenly pulling into the fast lane doing 40mph so they can reach the central reservation. Not a relaxing drive
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Statistically the most dangerous thing to do is have a large speed differential between you and other traffic. On the desrestricted parts of the Autobahn that probably makes doing 70 more dangerous than 120, because at 70 people will be coming past you doing twice your speed and you'll be trapped in the inside lane with the lorries unable to pull out and overtake.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  WHS, it's a stressful road. There are frequent 'cross-roads' so you can exit the road by turning right across the other carriageway (on a busy 70mph dual carriageway road) and it's very common to find a tractor suddenly pulling into the fast lane doing 40mph so they can reach the central reservation. Not a relaxing drive
                  Exactly why people shouldn't be flying along it. Dual carriageway A roads can be a nightmare with hidden junctions and things, definitely not safe for speeding along.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    That part of the A19 is dangerous at 70mph let alone 140mph. and I'm usually happy to do 90+ on the A1M...
                    +1

There's too many side roads to little places round there, plus the bloody big bend as you come past Crathorne. Some years back there was a nast yaccident in the fog just down from there, when a tanker tried to get out at the Black Swan exit (road has now been changed to stop it happening). My dad was the last car through, saw the tanker pull out, and then nothing but a big bang.

Mind you, I'd be tempted to floor it, just to get away from Middlesbrough as fast as humanly possible.
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I assumed the road was a dual carriageway - dont know the area. If not, then they should have had 10 years in prison.
                      It is a dual carriageway there.
                      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                      X