• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour would re-introduce the 50p tax rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And you can't include Employer's NI because this is not part of the salary to start with.
    Yes I can and yes it is - it's part of the employee cost to the business and represents true tax on employment.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Yes I can and yes it is - it's part of the employee cost to the business and represents true tax on employment.
      It doesn't matter one jot to an employee what their employer has to pay the government. What matters is what % of their salary they receive.

Besides, employer's NI is offset against company tax anyway.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It doesn't matter one jot to an employee what their employer has to pay the government. What matters is what % of their salary they receive.
        What matters (to people with brain) is overall amount of tax paid on employment and splitting it between "company" and "employee" makes zero material difference to the fact that it is another tax on employment.

Comment

It doesn't matter to employees to the extent that they don't see it but employer's NICs undoubtedly are a tax on working and hiring.

Everybody who pays tax most likely paying at high rate - 20% income + around 25% NI (inc employers) - so 45% tax on everybody who got half decent job.

Cons said they'd unify NICs and income tax which would have nice side effect of dealing with lots of tax dodges whose purpose is to shake off NICs. They said they'll create commission near end of Parliament, ffs - you got elected so do things, don't create meetings before next elections.
          It'd also end the whole IR35 debacle. Part of the problem is that the overall tax burden is simply too high and people don't feel they're getting value for money. True, the 'rich' bear a big portion of it but if you're a skilled professional, virtually 50% of what you produce goes to the government before you even see it. The politicos in turn bitch - sanctimoniously and often hypocritically, since they are net tax consumers - about people not paying their "fair" share but it's a rotten system to begin with.

I didn't say it was hard to do (although it can be depending where you want to go), I said it was a big step. I don't believe the majority of people would normally consider moving country at all - although possibly the kind of people earning this much might be a demographic who would consider it more easily?
          The majority of people aren't on that income, either. It's problematic on two levels. On the one hand you're dissuading people who are considering moving to the UK (or staying here after their studies; remember, this may include British students too, who haven't set down any roots yet) and who have the potential to become skilled professionals, i.e. an increasingly globally mobile portion of the population. I'm not talking so much about entrepreneurs and capitalists, as taxes on high income earners don't tend to hit them as hard as there are other loopholes in the tax system they can avail themselves of to reduce their tax burden. The government is wise enough to know that it would cripple itself if it chased away this demographic, which is the most globally mobile of all. Instead, they think they can force high skilled labour to pick the tab up.

On the other hand, you have people who see less and less of their earnings in their own pocket. The money could easily matter to them if they have plans of founding a business, building wealth to tide their grandkids over, or any number of other personal motives. Yes, there's people who probably would see it easier to stay here and either just reduce their working hours and make do with less, or work the same or more to meet their aspirations. If they were planning on retiring in some sunny location, some day in the future, why not research doing that now, in a place where they may well pay less tax too? Even somewhere like New Zealand, you'd pay much less tax.

My point is that this is a tax on work no matter how it is sliced, and at the bands it applies, high value work. Some people may make do, accepting a reduction in their leisure time (which economic indicators like GDP or tax pelf won't pick up) and remain as productive or more, to continue supporting the same lifestyle, but this comes at a definite cost to them. To assess how they choose to respond to it, you would have to study it over a longer period of time than just a year, to allow for decisions like those to emigrate, to have their effect. The Laffer curve is well known in economics with regard to how at certain levels of taxation the government actually shoots itself in the foot by taxing more. I would wager it is well below 50%. You could also apply this to IR35, i.e. cast aspersions on HMRC's rather dubious estimates of how much money it 'protects' by factoring in the cost to the economy and the government of losing labour market flexibility and reducing the options available to highly productive segments of the economy, to keep their tax burden at levels that actually border on being reasonable.
          Last edited by Zero Liability; 27 January 2014, 20:19.

Comment

What matters (to people with brain) is overall amount of tax paid on employment
            No, it isn't. Your overheads are your business. You also typically pay fees to recruitment agencies for finding permies, insurance policies in case of workplace death/injury, etc, etc. That's your problem as an employer. Company tax isn't an employee's interest either - better to group CT and employer's NI together, and PAYE+employee NI.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
            X