• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for IBM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had an interview once to contract through IBM at Camelot in Watford. Turned up in Watford. Camelot people were there. I was there. IBM people nowhere to be found.

They wanted to know if I could come back the next day. Given I'd travelled about 150 miles to get there in the first place, the answer was "feck off".

These were managers (plural - it wasn't just one who did a no show) who are, you know, in charge or organising things. If the managers don't even know what day of the week it is, imagine how they organise projects. I'd steer well clear...
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by lORD lUCAN
      I think he put that quite nicely fleetwood, i would have told you to to fckoff, but going back to that IBM , you might get lucky mate. You know how it goes. Just make sure you get a tour of the office, and if they look like a miserable bunch of cnts they probably are!!
      The problem is that the ones in the office are all admin or on the bench whilst everyone else is out at clients site on billable time. If you work for a big consultance and are spending any time in the office then you'll be doing pre-sales crap that is the bain of any consultant.

Comment

I know someone who used to work in IBM writing parts of websphere. That sounded interesting, but I suspect most of the IBM jobs are glorified body-shopping.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

AFAIK all of IBM's solution build team are now in India and a fair number of their big UK projects are using contractors. In my arena (SAP) anyway.

Comment

I did a contract with them on a client site last year and really enjoyed it.
            It would be a cold day in hell before I signed up as a permie though - the consequences of being 'on the bench' are stressful and potentially expensive.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Well, of course the permanent offer is less than what I'm getting at the moment as a contractor, but otherwise they've put together a very good package (as you'd expect from a large corporation like IBM).

Work/life balance - non-existent of what I've heard from other sources
              Business Consulting - haven't heard much positive comments about this practice
              SAP - ?!

Comment

Contractor side at IBM fine - doing system support, work my hours then finish
                Permie roles can be different - if you are standard systems support etc, they do work ordinary hours, get paid callout etc (but are called out regularly). their service management and project managers do tend to work very long hours though - and I don't think they get paid for it.
                Fair amount of red tape, but almost all of the long term IBMers I've come across, on various contracts have been very professional, and good to work with. That can be different if the people have been TUPEd across from another co, due to outsourcing.

Comment

Originally posted by KJH
                  Work/life balance - non-existent of what I've heard from other sources
                  Business Consulting - haven't heard much positive comments about this practice
                  SAP - ?!
                  http://www.sap.com/company/index.epx

Comment

Originally posted by KJH
                    Well, of course the permanent offer is less than what I'm getting at the moment as a contractor, but otherwise they've put together a very good package (as you'd expect from a large corporation like IBM).
                    Can I be indiscreet and I ask you what you consider a good package (60-70-80-100) and what was the trade-off from contracting to perm?
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I worked at IBM in Böblingen as an S/390 DB2 UDB Technical Consultant for about 4 months in which I did diddley squat. I used to go into the office in the morning, read mail, internal IBM databases and bulletin boards and then go back to my hotel in the evening. After a while I got a bit peeved, particularly as they didn't have any S/390 DB2 systems for me to use either! They eventually found me a project, for the Pakistani Airforce which was based on the Afghanistan border, just as it was all about to kick-off over there. Said no thanks and went onto another company. IBM like to have people just sitting there so that when they do have something they don't need to advertise and go through the whole find a person process. I still do a lot of work with IBM though worldwide.
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X