• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fibre arriving today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    You're confusing plain old ADSL with fibre. For fibre they need to send a man, and any filters you have are junk.

What did put me off is you need a plug next to the phone socket do they can power a modem,and you need a router a well. Apparently they will sometimes install a new socket in another room, but I could never get a clear answer on that
    The Draytek Vigor 2750VN does VDSL modem and router combined - nice bit of kit, not cheap mind. I got one and ditched the BT modem (ok but cheap and nasty) and the HH3 router (notoriously crap - read the forums!).

No idea what kit Sky supply but it will be somebody else's kit rebadged....

Comment

clears it up a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Yes indeed - it was the 39MB package - I did not see the point in paying more for 78MB - and to be honest I rarely use it for streaming so I have way more than I need (at the moment!)

It was really good install mind you - guy turned up at about 8.30 unplugged old router plugged in new router which had been delivered a day or two earlier. and we were back up and running!
        BT sent two men for me, really helpful and took them about 20 mins and sorted out my master socket which was hanging off the wall.

They did say I would get top speeds because I'm near a super advanced exchange but averaging about 20mb download and 15mb upload. I'm with Zen internet, always good service unless your want extra fixed ip addresses, they hate that, I mean hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          You're confusing plain old ADSL with fibre. For fibre they need to send a man, and any filters you have are junk.

What did put me off is you need a plug next to the phone socket do they can power a modem,and you need a router a well. Apparently they will sometimes install a new socket in another room, but I could never get a clear answer on that
          Modem and a router? FFS. First I've heard. Heres email from sky when I did the order:-

'The Fibre Unlimited offers speeds of up to 40 mbps and costs £20.00 per month.

We also have Fibre Pro Unlimited available in your area and this offers speeds of up to 42mbps and is £30.00 per month

We would send you a Fibre Hub, free of charge, and this will bring Fibre from the cabinet to your property without the need for an engineer to call - this means that there are no installation charges.'
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Modem and a router? FFS. First I've heard. Heres email from sky when I did the order:-

We also have Fibre Pro Unlimited available in your area and this offers speeds of up to 42mbps and is £30.00 per month

'
            An extra 10 quid for 2mbps, damned expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              BT whereas Im going sky but it does appear it is just plug it in.

So Im assuming it does work with the crappy microfilters? Like I said I've got tidy pre-filtered anyway but sky never asked and theres a few in the box.

LEts just hope sky have sent the man around to the cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

We would send you a Fibre Hub, free of charge, and this will bring Fibre from the cabinet to your property without the need for an engineer to call - this means that there are no installation charges.'
                I would love to know how the hub will change a cooper cable to fibre? Me thinks Sky are using a marketing definition of fibre (i.e. repurposing the word to mean something entirely different).
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  An extra 10 quid for 2mbps, damned expensive.
                  Like I said, BT said 65Mb. So dont know whos right? But sky seemed keener on selling me the basic package for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    I would love to know how the hub will change a cooper cable to fibre? Me thinks Sky are using a marketing definition of fibre (i.e. repurposing the word to mean something entirely different).
                    Yes, weird wording. 'Bring fibre from the cabinet to your property'. PRess a button and a length of optical cable whips out from the cabinet across the street and through the window.... lol

Of course though, its fibre to cabinet and then copper from cabinet to house as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      hmm but about 6 months ago a man came round a put a new cable from the pole to my house -- so I am assuming this is now fibre and not copper, they also upgraded the pole to cabinet to fibre

so it is now fibre to cabinet from just my house

but the line and socket in the house are the same ---

so I guess I still have copper inside the house which may slow down some speed a bit?

Comment

Working...
                      X