• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternatives to flying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat
    In a car accident you might well have many years of reduced mobility after the accident.
    You can always commit suicide that won't be painful or require you to be afraid - in airplane crash they won't even bury you in open coffin, though this country seems to be mainly cremating people so its probably not that big of an issue.

Granted British air companies are much better in terms of safety than say Russian ones or Nigerian, but nevertheless its a serious risk and given increasing terrorist efforts aimed specifically as UK/US aircraft it means that flying is becoming more and more dangerous.

Heck, you will be lucky if airplane is blown up in midair while you are asleep on transatlantic flight, it sure would feel a lot worse to see in illuminator how airplane is about to crash into tall building.

IMO they should seriosly consider using sedatives in air flying - this would make it much quicker, require less space per passenger and in the event of death it will be death in sleep. Maybe I should patent this business process...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      Granted British air companies are much better in terms of safety than say Russian ones or Nigerian, but nevertheless its a serious risk and given increasing terrorist efforts aimed specifically as UK/US aircraft it means that flying is becoming more and more dangerous.
      Well, I think once on Air Burundi was enough.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
        Apparently there's something called a "car", that can travel to Europe either in a big train through a tunnel that somebody has built, or on a big boat called a "ferry".
        Has anybody tried it? How far afield does it work?

Parameters: spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night at home in UK; work Mon-Fri. So in general, arrive Monday before lunch, leave Friday after lunch.

Or should I write my own timetable instead of trying to be an employee?

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          Franko, nice to see my advice about you ceasing to be an onanist is paying off.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            Has anybody tried it? How far afield does it work?

Parameters: spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night at home in UK; work Mon-Fri. So in general, arrive Monday before lunch, leave Friday after lunch.

Or should I write my own timetable instead of trying to be an employee?
            It depends where you live and where you work doesnt it.

Lots of South coast bods use tunnel and ferries to work in Holland, Belgium and France. It is possible to daily commute London - Paris or Brussels.

As I live in the NW UK and mostly worked in Southern Germany there is no chance of driving it. 14 hours min each way.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              It depends where you live and where you work doesnt it.

Lots of South coast bods use tunnel and ferries to work in Holland, Belgium and France. It is possible to daily commute London - Paris or Brussels.

As I live in the NW UK and mostly worked in Southern Germany there is no chance of driving it. 14 hours min each way.
              Uh-huh. Beds, 1/2 hr north of M25. Ay, there's the rub. Well, I suppose if I get out at 5:30 I could be in Brussels by 11 and Amsterdam by 12. Coming back I could leave in mid-afternoon and be back in time for a pint. Hmm.

Comment

Can't you use train and then rented car? I presume your travel expenses get paid. Though there is a question how safe trains are under English Channel... only applies if you have fear of drowning in a tunnel though.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Can't you use train and then rented car? I presume your travel expenses get paid. Though there is a question how safe trains are under English Channel... only applies if you have fear of drowning in a tunnel though.
                  Like most contractors, I pay my own expenses. I've got a spare car that I could park there for weekday uses. But the timing is not too appealing:

15 mins to station, 40 mins to Euston, 30 across London, allow 30 transfer/checkin. 1h47 train to Lille.

That's 3 hours 45 minutes and I've got as far as Lille. Unless I've missed the train.

Almost 5 hours on the clock with the time difference. Makes it hard to get to work on Monday morning.

Comment

You are trying to optimise something that is inherently bad - you need a UK based job, this will save you time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                      You are trying to optimise something that is inherently bad - you need a UK based job, this will save you time and money.
                      Yes, you're right. Having trouble finding one though.

Comment

Working...
                      X