• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A quick hint to any agent reading this on 1st January

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    Yep, the script back then was:

1. Call mobile. If no answer or voicemail then hang up leaving no message.
    2. Call landline. As above. Keep dialling every 10 minutes until you get someone answering. Make sure you're dialling from a caller-ID blocked number so that it's hard for me to see who is calling.
    3. If it goes on for long enough, call anyone you know is a close contact of your target asking if they know where you are or if they can get you to answer your phone.
    Well, I've known 1 and 2 but not 3.

It's a pisser but if you're looking for contracts then you've got to stick your mouth in the mess at times. They are bastards but they are salesmen bastards, and unless you are going direct, that's the tulip you have got to swallow, regardless of times.

Horrible, but that's the way things are until you position yourself outside that remit, and that requires experience, contacts, confidence, technical acumen and time.

I'm hoping you get a a contract, and I'm sure you will, but you've got take the sh ite with the smooth talking sales-bastards. Sell yourself, you're in the business, you have the skillz, just keep doing it and eventually you will get something. I mean for christ sakes, you're here, talking, keep talking to those agents, be confident, talk about your skills and something will happen.

Don't feel defeated.

You can do this. Seriously.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
      Well, I've known 1 and 2 but not 3.

It's a pisser but if you're looking for contracts then you've got to stick your mouth in the mess at times. They are bastards but they are salesmen bastards, and unless you are going direct, that's the tulip you have got to swallow, regardless of times.

Horrible, but that's the way things are until you position yourself outside that remit, and that requires experience, contacts, confidence, technical acumen and time.

I'm hoping you get a a contract, and I'm sure you will, but you've got take the sh ite with the smooth talking sales-bastards. Sell yourself, you're in the business, you have the skillz, just keep doing it and eventually you will get something. I mean for christ sakes, you're here, talking, keep talking to those agents, be confident, talk about your skills and something will happen.

Don't feel defeated.

You can do this. Seriously.
      Cheers for that but I've not had more than three months in total unintentionally out of contract since 2005

You do make some good points though, agents are a necessary evil and sometimes it's the pushy, annoying, awkward, reprehensible, morally bankrupt ones that have the best roles and you need to keep them happy!

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
        Cheers for that but I've not had more than three months in total unintentionally out of contract since 2005

You do make some good points though, agents are a necessary evil and sometimes it's the pushy, annoying, awkward, reprehensible, morally bankrupt ones that have the best roles and you need to keep them happy!
        Aye, then keep at it craig1, you'll get something. All the best!
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          Aye, then keep at it craig1, you'll get something. All the best!
          HyperD save your breath. He was already braying in another thread about landing a 3 year contract and having his technical lead/prison bitch all lined up and used to his "unorthodox management style"

He of course fails mention this here, and is leading you a merry dance. You're a nice fella, and have lots of help and advice, just save it for some one that isn't a total bellend.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            Thats why god invented voicemail.
            Hmmm. Surely if you don;t want to speak to someone just dont answer it and let it got to voicemail.

'Most' agencies numbers come up as withheld so if I can't be arsed I leave these ring.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

'Most' agencies numbers come up as withheld so if I can't be arsed I leave these ring.
              This. I never answer withheld numbers unless I'm looking for a contract.

Even landline numbers that do show up, but are not in my contacts, I don't even bother to answer.

Why have a phone? Happy to answer known numbers and if something is important from a call I ignore they'll leave a voicemail

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                actually being benched and warchest empty this month I would love a call from an agent today
                Ditto - or any day soon works for me as well
                If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  This. I never answer withheld numbers unless I'm looking for a contract.

Even landline numbers that do show up, but are not in my contacts, I don't even bother to answer.

Why have a phone? Happy to answer known numbers and if something is important from a call I ignore they'll leave a voicemail
                  Most annoying are the ones that dont leave a voicemail but keep ringing constantly.
                  Like someone said, I don't always answer especially if I'm in contract.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Most annoying are the ones that dont leave a voicemail but keep ringing constantly.
                    I had a customer when I was in Account Management who would do this. I'd come back to my desk to find 10 missed calls at 30 second intervals with no voicemail - if I didn't pick up on the first nine, why the hell did he think I'd pick up on the 10th?
                    Last edited by vwdan; 2 January 2014, 16:53.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      HyperD save your breath. He was already braying in another thread about landing a 3 year contract and having his technical lead/prison bitch all lined up and used to his "unorthodox management style"

He of course fails mention this here, and is leading you a merry dance. You're a nice fella, and have lots of help and advice, just save it for some one that isn't a total bellend.

What's your problem? Contract envy? Knobber.

Comment

Working...
                      X