• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ultimately, the only thing stopping ALL of our work being offshored is...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    But yes the whole 'it's cheaper/better to offshore' point is being eroded as finally senior execs are waking up to what most IT professionals have known for years - IT is a legitimate profession and should be considered in the same breath as careers in Law, Accounting etc etc.
    I think it's more than that. A successful business must have a competitive advantage over it's rivals.

And you cannot buy a competitive advantage from the market. You can only buy the market average. You have to invest to create an advantage and that applies whether your are a one-man PSC or a multi-national.

So the first companies to offshore AND make it work efficiently probably gained an advantage, lowering the cost of the IT and allowing them to take on bigger projects.

But now all their rivals have followed suite. So it's no longer advantageous to follow the current model. It is the market average.

So to regain an advantage they need to do something different. For example, in-sourcing OR adopting SaaS at scale.

In the beginning only the forward thinking companies will change. The majority will maintain the status quo ... but eventually they will be forced to adopt the "new model" ( whatever that turns out to be ) because if they don't they will be at a disadvantage.

Comment

All I do is remind the management how much they must be saving - I only do this due major f-ups and when I hear the usual comments about stuff not being done properly. This means its about 2 or 3 times a week and I think the message is sinking in

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Your not one of these cravat wearing design pattern types are you?
        I'm a stuff doer. Can't sit around all day pondering pretty patterns.
        Like java devs?
        See

Hubris

Pride goes before a fall

Comment

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
          X