• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please sign this

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having read the petition properly, I wonder if legislation exists. The Equality Act 2010 has the intent (from wiki):

In the case of disability, employers and service providers are under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to their workplaces to overcome barriers experienced by disabled people.

It comes down to what is reasonable but it also comes down to what a large company will do if threatened with the law by a campaigning organisation. I am pretty sure this kind of service is included. The law certainly applies to making public facing NHS systems accessible.

Comment

Just a suggestion - try and get the attention of Katie Price. Her oldest son has a vision disabilitiy (amongst others) and she is extremely vocal on the subject. And she has a lot of Twitter followers.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Just a suggestion - try and get the attention of Katie Price. Her oldest son has a vision disability (amongst others) and she is extremely vocal on the subject. And she has a lot of Twitter followers.
        I second that - it's a great idea.

Petition signed.

Good luck
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Getting KP to back your cause is on the same level as trying to get Piers Morgan to interview you.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Done.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Getting KP to back your cause is on the same level as trying to get Piers Morgan to interview you.
              WHS

She'd get taken as seriously as a Suity post when he tells us he has a new gig.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Thanks to those who have signed. My son has spoken to a number of people in these companies and made it clear that it is against the disability Discrimination Act but with no joy - he has evven spoken to one of the directors involved in the Sky movie streaming service. He's also on fisrt name terms with George Galloway who has promised to ask questions relating to this on his behalf. He's petitioned our MP and the MP in the constituency where his school is. Their main argument is that there is no demand for this as blind and partially sighted people only make up about 4% of the population. I would counter that with the fact that we as a family have not signed up to any of these services because they exclude my son. Funny that sky can offer audio description on their on demand movies via their normal satellite services but cannot when it comes to offering similar through the internet!

As for Katie Price - I have absolutely know idea how I could get in touch with here. He's trying to get in touch with Blunket, but apparantly you have to go through your local MP and ours is not very useful!
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Yes; it's publicity. Say what you like about Katie Price and Piers Morgan but they understand publicity.

Anyway, done, have put down parent's postal code as I'm not in UK!
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Is it against discriminatory laws though? I don't suggest they shouldn't offer it, but streaming TV isn't broadcast TV. It might not even be streaming from within the UK!

Do iPlayer/4OD/Demand5 support AD out of interest?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                      Hi,

My son is trying to get the online movie streaming companies to offer audio description so that it is acessible to blind people. At the moment none of these companies offer it, even though pretty much every DVD produced these days incluudes audio description. He has spoken to a number of people at sky and a a few other companies and been told that they deem it to be 'not cost effective'.

His petition is here

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...d-film-viewers

Thanks and feel free to pass it on!

Tony
                      Signed.

Comment

Working...
                      X