• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's working over Christmas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    They don't split tips with front desk then? I thought these days tips were always split x ways but who is included in x I don't know the etiquette
    No, they don't split tips. They take it in turns to front desk, so it evens out. I think kitchen staff get paid more to compensate. I suppose the incentive is to provide good service, and by sharing tips you lose that motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      My daughter's doing a 10-6 shift on Christmas day. She gets minimum wage (which, as she's not 21 for another 2 weeks, is the princely sum of £5.03 an hour). AFAIK no mention has been made of double or triple time for Christmas. She was OK about it as she presumed she'd rake it in on tips, but they've stuck her on front desk so she'll probably get nothing. She's not best pleased.
      Would she be sacked if she refused to do it? Sounds like she needs to drive a harder bargain with the rate of pay. I'm guessing the customers are paying through the nose for service on Xmas day so someone must be making more, just not your daughter.

I'm picturing a miserable manager dressed in a Dickensian kind of way, first name Ebenezer...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        My daughter's doing a 10-6 shift on Christmas day. She gets minimum wage (which, as she's not 21 for another 2 weeks, is the princely sum of £5.03 an hour). AFAIK no mention has been made of double or triple time for Christmas. She was OK about it as she presumed she'd rake it in on tips, but they've stuck her on front desk so she'll probably get nothing. She's not best pleased.
        and where exactly is your not quite 21 yo daughter working this xmas....

oh right....

Comment

Working...
        X