• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

England owes Poland immigrant claims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally know for a fact that the Polish workers employed by a friend of mine are highly valued and well paid for what they do. I don't think it is a fair statement that all Polish are being shafted unfairly by British companies, in fact when I'd been working at Thurrock Council they were employing more and more Polish workers under their equal opportunites policy, something I'm sure happens alot throughout many Government bodies.

You must also realise that no matter where you go, there is always an underlying agenda to employ homegrown talent first. It is the same for us when applying to work in other Countries. Just life I'm afraid, you have to overcome it. I understand this is frustrating though but I'm sure you will find your way, but please drop the "you owe us" attitude. It won't do you any favours in the long run.

Comment

Poland and I believe Checkslovakia had signed agreement of military support in case of invasion - but neither France nor UK did nothing while Hitler took over Checkslovakia, this increased his appetites and he went after Poland, something that could no longer be ignored so the WW2 started, but had UK/France were tougher in the beginning then Hitler would have certainly not went after Checkslovakia.

Of course USSR would have attacked Europe in 1941 anyway, with Hitler ironically spearheading fight for freedom of the world and he would went down the history books as person who would have won that freedom, but he choose the other path.

Comment

Europe 1914

I think some of you are seeing the problems with a modern day map of Europe. European borders have changed considerably part http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/p...e1914.htmiculy sine Napoleonic times. Poland did not exist until much later in the 1900s. The Poles had a history of aggression. Shortly before the Second World War there were mass murders committed against Germans and Russians by Polls. It has not been politically correct to talk about them until recently. However graves have been excavated recently proving many of the events denied by Poland.
        HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
          Shortly before the Second World War there were mass murders committed against Germans and Russians by Polls.
          Links please.

Comment

Contradiction

If I am correct both AtW and AJP are against our 'intervention' in Iraq. Not contradicting yourselves guys ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
              From the Guardian
              Now is the time to say something very painful. England owes Poland for what we suffered from 1939 onwards.
              Rubbish. Germany invaded Poland in 1939, and Britain actually went to war as a consequence. We can speculate all day about whether or not Britain should have stood up to Hitler sooner, but we can't change the past.
              Following WWII, Soviet Russia (under that nice cuddly Joe Stalin) continued to occupy Poland (and the rest of what we know as Eastern Europe) and that's hardly our fault either. We could have gone to war again, but both sides had nukes by then, so it would have got a bit messy.

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
              We want to be treated as intelligent people and given the chance to catch up.'
              Stop spouting bollocks then, and we might start to take you seriously.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                We could have gone to war again, but both sides had nukes by then, so it would have got a bit messy.
                Well, Stalin did not have nukes until 1948 (or 47?), but Americans did not have many either so the outcome of the war would have been decided by conventional forces and at the time Russian war production was very high, given that Allied never met the kind of brutal fight that took place on the Ost Front, it meant that taking chances fighting with USSR was just not that attractive opportunity. But at least Churchill realised the danger in principle and used Cold War for that - thankfully someone stood up to the totalitarism of USSR, pity it was not Soviet people.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
                  Shortly before the Second World War there were mass murders committed against Germans and Russians by Polls. It has not been politically correct to talk about them until recently. However graves have been excavated recently proving many of the events denied by Poland.
                  That was Nazi propoganda, used to justify the invasion of Poland.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    Well, Stalin did not have nukes until 1948 (or 47?), but Americans did not have many either so the outcome of the war would have been decided by conventional forces and at the time Russian war production was very high, given that Allied never met the kind of brutal fight that took place on the Ost Front, it meant that taking chances fighting with USSR was just not that attractive opportunity. But at least Churchill realised the danger in principle and used Cold War for that - thankfully someone stood up to the totalitarism of USSR, pity it was not Soviet people.
                    OK fair point about the nukes, but are you seriously suggesting we should have carried on after defeating Germany and gone after Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                      OK fair point about the nukes, but are you seriously suggesting we should have carried on after defeating Germany and gone after Russia?
                      If it was possible (which I think it was not) - yes. Cold War was a very bad solution because it allowed USSR to catch up in nuclear arms research and the world had to live in anticipation of armageddon for a very long time.

But I think when the war was over in 1945 the allies US and UK simply did not have the stomach for extremely brutal war with USSR - the Ost Front was nothing like was in the West.

Comment

Working...
                      X