• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dominoes - Pay a little more

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Sounds like a response to this one..

Stop complaining about immigrants and find a job of your own, former M&S boss says - Telegraph

So who wins this argument?
    Dunno, but the pizza man's saying he wants easier entry for people from outside the EU so he can get enough staff who'll work for a pittance. Personally I feel we should be striving for more migration freedom worldwide, but that's besides the point here. There are 507 million people in the EU. If he can't find one or two of them prepared to go and make pizzas in his shops then he needs to take a long hard look at his business model, starting with the wages he's offering. As others have said, it's a market and the market rate is obviously higher than he thought.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Their pizzas are pretty dull, we occasionally get them in if people are round.

Comment

I think the bigger problem is that for years big business has been allowed to set the agenda, now with a vast chunk of working people on benefits and people getting upset about new waves of immigrants the chickens are coming home to roost. It's about time politicians started representing all the people who live here, not just those who own businesses.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Don'r know if it's the way they always do it, but our local Dominos is fascinating to watch - it's the same size as your typical pizza takeaway but instead of 2-3 people, there must be anything up to 20. They get the pizzas out quickly but not drastically faster than other takeaways so it's no surprise they want to pay their staff so little; they have 5X as many as other places!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Stop unemployment benefits - problem solved. The cost of labour for pizza makers is already artificially high thanks to minimum wage, so talk about exploitation etc is bulltulip.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              Stop unemployment benefits - problem solved. The cost of labour for pizza makers is already artificially high thanks to minimum wage, so talk about exploitation etc is bulltulip.
              How does working all day and not earning enough to feed and house yourself solve any problems?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you took the total dominoes UK employee wages and divided it by dominoes UK pizzas sold I would think total wage cost per pizza is going to be substantially less than a pound. 60 pence maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                  Is that why you went to California? Because the pay was better?

I saw a smart Mustang with a pizza delivery sign on it, when I was in Hawaii.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    If you took the total dominoes UK employee wages and divided it by dominoes UK pizzas sold I would think total wage cost per pizza is going to be substantially less than a pound. 60 pence maybe.
                    Yes, but I would not be suprised if it turned out that the royalty fee for usage of Dominos' brand paid to an offshore entity makes UK subsidiary totally unprofitable

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                      Or you get a massive crime wave as people go on the rampage nicking food and other essentials like expensive tellies from wealthier people. Go and have a look at countries that have to social security system and ask some people in your income bracket how much it costs to pay for private security and walled neighbourhoods. I think you'll find that paying something for social security is cheaper.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X