• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The so called UK economic recovery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    So your implication is that slave labour trafficking is not a terrible crime (which I would dispute but let's move on) and that we are doing exactly the same thing to future generations (which I would dispute but let's move on), so where is the problem? Apparently neither is a terrible crime.
    Both are crimes in my mind, but obviously I'd put child labour trafficking above the debt problem.

But I think he's right that future generations are being plundered by the continual build up of debt.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Both are crimes in my mind, but obviously I'd put child labour trafficking above the debt problem.

But I think he's right that future generations are being plundered by the continual build up of debt.
      Not disagreeing. Just having some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        There's no problem with the economy per se. We've been in a bubble which has popped, and now the 'recovery' is just government stealing from the unborn in order to re-inflate that bubble as best it can in the short term - economic horizons are alot further away than political horizons.

You can't participate in a giant ponzi scheme and then seriously talk bulltulip about economics and recoveries. It's all a charade and the sooner average joe public realise that the better.
        Best comment yet. While the response to a credit fueled boom is more credit we will remain in recession as long-term investment is blinded by the mal-investment of the past. This is why companies are holding cash. The crux is that the wealthy who are close to government refuse to accept the losses that they need to absorb in order to kick-start the next economic cycle and leach the system of mal-investment.

Comment

So your implication is that slave labour trafficking is not a terrible crime (which I would dispute but let's move on) and that we are doing exactly the same thing to future generations (which I would dispute but let's move on), so where is the problem? Apparently neither is a terrible crime.
          Uh, no - I'm saying both are a crime. The point is that to not consider the debt a crime in the same way would be hypocritical. Ofcourse it's only hypocritical if it's understood, but I think that a very large number of people are wilfully ignorant / pretending to themselves.

If you (as in one) vote for it, you're a child slave labour advocate.

Comment

Uh, no - I'm saying both are a crime. The point is that to not consider the debt a crime in the same way would be hypocritical. Ofcourse it's only hypocritical if it's understood, but I think that a very large number of people are wilfully ignorant / pretending to themselves.

If you (as in one) vote for it, you're a child slave labour advocate
            That's stretching things a bit. People vote for what they want now, they're not thinking about the financial consequences ten or twenty years down the line. Perhaps they should, but that's a lot to ask of some people.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              That's stretching things a bit. People vote for what they want now, they're not thinking about the financial consequences ten or twenty years down the line. Perhaps they should, but that's a lot to ask of some people.
              Well i guess that's what i mean about having understanding of it / wilfully ignoring it.

if you're genuinely ignorant then 'it' is something very different from the 'it' someone else votes for in full knowledge of the consequences.

Comment

If you (as in one) vote for it, you're a child slave labour advocate.
                No, you said

you see reports in the news of human slave labour trafficking as if it's a terrible crime
                That means that you don't think it's a terrible crime (or perhaps more charitably it means you're incoherent).

As for the rest of your nonsense, you are clearly an idiot.

Comment

That means that you don't think it's a terrible crime (or perhaps more charitably it means you're incoherent).
                  No it doesn't. Whether something is a 'terrible crime' or not is a subjective value judgement, and as such my description of it being reported as if it were has no bearing on whether I consider it, in fact, to be a terrible crime, or not (or perhaps more charitably, it means that you're lacking a grasp of basic logic).

My personal feelings on the matter can be implicitly inferred from the context of the post in whole, by anyone less obtuse than yourself.

As for the rest of your nonsense, you are clearly an idiot.
                  Excellent point - your amazing logic and reasoning have clearly shown me the error of my ways, and I've been converted.

(this is meant to be sarcastic - incase you were unable to infer that much from the context)

Comment

blah
                    He's right though, you are an idiot.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I think we should stop trying to raise our kids with the ability to deal with the tulipty world we live in

We should raise them with the ability to make it a better place to live for all.

Comment

Working...
                      X