• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Go, Suity!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I got a bad feeling about this.
    Know your place Memsaab.

What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Know your place Memsaab.

I'm pretty sure suity won't be ending up as Windsor Davies in this set up.

Comment

I'm pretty sure suity won't be ending up as Windsor Davies in this set up.
        Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

Comment

Suity, can we have a full update please on project, contract and health status?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            When does the 'I'm dying, I have man flu' phase kick in?
            About now

Comment

Suity, can we have a full update please on project, contract and health status?

For what it's worth.

The initial work is done, and tested. Normally I don't get involved in deploying into live, but I was told my predecessor used to do it without fuss etc etc. I pointed out a couple of things.

1) There is only DEV and LIVE. So there is no intermediate environment to test any deployment. Go live is both dress rehearsal and live performance. I was told this is how it's always been done and there's never been any issues in the past. I raised a risk to the RAID log anyway.

2) The version of the tool they are using is old, and known to be buggy.

I drafted a deployment plan. Circulated to the relevant peeps. Got agreement to proceed. Go live happened last Thursday. No hitches, no errors. Smooth like a chased greased hog.

I went to dinner that night with the MD of the consultancy who told me I was doing a cracking job, and with February in sight there was already an extension on the table. Very friendly, nice evening.

Friday morning all hell broke loose. In live, one of the grids had stopped working. Gawd what have I fooked up now, I thought. So I checked over every nut and bolt, every rivet, every log. All perfect. Could not see what the problem was.

Got a kicking. Seemingly they have had lots of issues in the past, only now does it come to light. So I suggest as they have a support contract, I raise a support ticket. After all the deployment was textbook. They agreed.

The vendor is known to me as being a bit slippery, so I was waiting for them to lay the blame at my door. They didn't disappoint. Apparently "known best practice" is to delete some undocumented hidden caches before deploying. Fortunately I have a few associated in the industry who I checked with who said this is hogwash, this version was a bugfest and this "known best practice" is news to them.

So I updated the deployment plan, with these extra previously unheard of steps. Tonight we went again. This time worse. Fooking thing wouldn't deploy. Not that I got any error. Oh no. Nothing. Not a dicky bird. Not that the deployment tool was unresponsive, quite the contrary. It just didn't do anything when you clicked the button. I was expecting a confirmation prompt then one line in the output window saying it had finished. Nada.

So I invoked the rollback section of the plan. That went smoothly. ClientCo is as they were.

My hands are tied really. Without an intermediate environment it's not possible to test the deployment. Without running a far newer version I am suffering a bugfest. And any protestations look like a bad workman blaming his tools.

Health wise I am fine. Bit of a sinus infection is all which makes balancing and driving quite fun, but I'm seriously not complaining.

So there's your update as requested. Donning flame retardant outfit as I type. Off you go chaps.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                So there's your update as requested. Donning flame retardant outfit as I type. Off you go chaps.
                Not yet, but it's building up nicely Suity. Keep us informed please.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

...stuff...

I have no idea what you are going on about but I'm sure you'll come through smelling of roses...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    I have no idea what you are going on about but I'm sure you'll come through smelling of roses...
                    Suity done a whoopsie

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

After all the tulipe you waffle about doing a good job and going through proper process it is clear you are technically incompetent and not able to deal with different working environments, what contracting is essentially about.

Why don't you go back to churning out hacked ASP in a basement for some third rate software supplier, that is all you are good for.

Comment

Working...
                      X