• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Career path?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    That just shows a lack of maturity. If you can influence then the size of company shouldn't matter.
    Trying to justify your own self inflicted misery again?

I don't want to be the boss of Sony, BP, Vodafone or any of the others. I don't like the culture and I don't want to "influence" to climb the corporate ladder.

Small companies are often worse.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Again, someone else thinking small. Aim to be the boss.
      Nope plan b is rather bigger than that and I've spent a lot of time getting buy in from the government quango's who would otherwise make life difficult.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I dislike large corporations.
        We know. Show us plan B.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
          We know. Show us plan B.
          Home | The National Lottery - home of Lotto, EuroMillions and Instant Wins
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Managing people and situations. If you hit 45 and you still cannot articulate yourself, deal with social situations or cannot influence than frankly you're destined to stay at a certain level of mediocrity and upcoming youngsters are going to replace you, if not already.
            By that time you will most likely be competing with someone who has been running a small an army of BAs for the last 15 or more years. How will you be marketing yourself?

PS why is it that "change management" often requires 3 times more people than who actually implement the change? Does the answer hold the key to a successful career?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
              PS why is it that "change management" often requires 3 times more people than who actually implement the change? Does the answer hold the key to a successful career?
              It's called empire building. And it depends what you mean by successful...

Comment

I thought the lifestyle of a contractor is such that returning to permiedom would be an anti-climax, unless offered very senior role, with some significant stake in the company.

Isn't that why you guys all have Plan Bs?
                Or already have some property portfolio?

Comment

I plan to ride the contracting train right into the buffers.
                  Plan B for me is various share investments that are steady if unspectacular and are rapidly reaching escape velocity when I will be immune from any vagaries of the 'market'. I won't be able to retire nor would I want to but I could certainly pick and choose how long and where I work from now on. That feels good and I advise any contractor to aim at getting into this position.
                  If the gravy train DOES keep rolling then it just means a more comfotable retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I dislike large corporations.
                    me too.

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                    I plan to ride the contracting train right into the buffers.
                    Plan B for me is various share investments that are steady if unspectacular and are rapidly reaching escape velocity when I will be immune from any vagaries of the 'market'. I won't be able to retire nor would I want to but I could certainly pick and choose how long and where I work from now on. That feels good and I advise any contractor to aim at getting into this position.
                    If the gravy train DOES keep rolling then it just means a more comfotable retirement.
                    Much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      I'm in my early 40s and I don't really want to spend the rest of my life earning a comfortable living doing the same types of contract for ever. So I'm looking at a high profile permie job for three years, which will leave me many more options.
                      Same here, except the age.

I could go on doing the same old stuff for years, but need to step things up a gear, a few years in the dark side, should give me the move up the ladder I need and then open up the market for going back contracting. Also with the fact I've moved country I don't have the network built up enough to get the contract roles I need just yet.
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X