• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is now the right time to become a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
    Would a potential client really think I can bring something to the table???
    A clean spoon for the chutney wouldn't go amiss.

Comment

Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
      Hi All,

Just wanting to get your opinions on whether you think now is a good time for me to get into contracting. The way I see it I only want to work 4 days a week - not because I want to slack off the other days; but because I want to do my own stuff in that time (mobile apps/new tech etc) and eventually turn this into a business. In other words my real aim is not greed for extra money from contracting, but rather the opportunities/flexibility that it affords me to do other things.

Currently I have 4 years experience, 2 years I was at a consultancy (and had been SC cleared), and 2 years is working at a hedge fund (in London) and have experience in UI Testing, Java, SQL Server, C# and dashboard/BI stuff too.

In my personal time I've tried building apps for Nokia (Maemo/Qt) and BB10 (Qt) and I'm always looking to do stuff in my spare time.

Whats the earliest you guys have started contracting - is 4 years enough experience? Would a potential client really think I can bring something to the table (I think of contractors as old old veterans in my mind)???

Thanks in advance for your input.
      Cretin
      Originally posted by stek View Post
      No, you're obviously too thick.

It's my turn for the SAS logon, come on...
      Cretin
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Cretin

Cretin
        stek?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          stek?
          Too much vodka on Friday night...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Too much vodka on Friday night...
            Do it again?

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
            X