• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Much Visas plenty cheapness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Is there some kind of target to get as many people as possible down minimum wage as possible in the next decade?

That is the way it will move if we are truly promising every graduate from India a visa.
    Isn't that the plan, we will just be the serfs for the multinationals except for a few thousand millionaires in gated communities
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      Isn't that the plan, we will just be the serfs for the multinationals except for a few thousand millionaires in gated communities

I am particularly pleased at the massive tax and national insurance dispensations we give Indian nationals working here. The free schooling and healthcare we offer their families. The tolerance of their corruption and racism. The amount of British intellectual property they steal. The way we dont bother to police or enforce the visa regulations.

Frankly Infosys, Cognizant, Wipro and the rest of the slave traders should be kicked out of the country.

I dispair at the quality of our political class. Their plan does indeed seem to be compete as a 3rd world nation on minimum wage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        Maybe it's the same as the horrible modern practice of women calling themselves "actors" instead of "actresses".
        Why is it a horrible practice?

There are loads of jobs that don't have a gender specific version and female actors want their job to be another one.

Oh and businesswomen tend to call themselves businesswomen.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

There are loads of jobs that don't have a gender specific version and female actors want their job to be another one.

Oh and businesswomen tend to call themselves businesswomen.
          WSS, why should a job title be gender specific? It's irrelevant. I'm a programmer not a programmess. Where the job title is suffixed with 'man' it's a but greyer, but really shouldn't matter. Much as I dislike 'businessperson' I think perhaps it's the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Oh and businesswomen tend to call themselves businesswimmin.
            FTFY
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              WSS, why should a job title be gender specific? It's irrelevant. I'm a programmer not a programmess. Where the job title is suffixed with 'man' it's a but greyer, but really shouldn't matter. Much as I dislike 'businessperson' I think perhaps it's the way to go.
              Its not 'greyer' its bastardised old english. Man denoted person non gender specific, wyf or wer gender. So if its a Wer-Chair or a Wyf-Chair then you have a point a spokesman is gender neutral, but that doesn't stop the feminists wasting time when we should be doing better things.

Man - definition of Man by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

His and hers, wyf and wer | Macmillan
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Its not 'greyer' its bastardised old english. Man denoted person non gender specific, wyf or wer gender. So if its a Wer-Chair or a Wyf-Chair then you have a point a spokesman is gender neutral, but that doesn't stop the feminists wasting time when we should be doing better things.

Man - definition of Man by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

His and hers, wyf and wer | Macmillan
                I'm pretty sure it wasn't the feminists that came up with chairwoman in the first place.

A quick google suggests that the Man thing being gender neutral is not correct.

Origin of the species: Is
                ‘Manus’, the Latin word for hand’, is part of the origin of words such as ‘manual’ and ‘manufacture’. “But it gets into compound words only as ‘manu’,” Peters says. “With the ‘u’ attached. It’s never in there just as ‘man’.”
                BTW, what better things do you think feminists should be doing? Isn't the insidious assumption of a default position of 'maleness' exactly what they should be challenging?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  I'm pretty sure it wasn't the feminists that came up with chairwoman in the first place.

A quick google suggests that the Man thing being gender neutral is not correct.

Origin of the species: Is

BTW, what better things do you think feminists should be doing? Isn't the insidious assumption of a default position of 'maleness' exactly what they should be challenging?

Its old English (Germanic from the Anglo Saxon) not Old Roman(Latin).

Vir or Homo would be latin so it would be 'ChairHomo'
                  But Chairmann

would be an adult male.

What better things do you think feminists should be doing? - well not arguing about a word's Gender inference incorrectly might be a good start. It just makes them look stupid.

As always, if you think some subset of the population is doing badly compared to the other make sure it is a level playing field (no positive discrimination) and encourage them to do better.

Telling them they are all better than man without any proof makes it too dismiss them, with my girls I say to them first prove you are better than every person in the room then worry about being a girl.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

But Chairmann

would be an adult male.

What better things do you think feminists should be doing? - well not arguing about a word's Gender inference incorrectly might be a good start. It just makes them look stupid.

As always, if you think some subset of the population is doing badly compared to the other make sure it is a level playing field (no positive discrimination) and encourage them to do better.

Telling them they are all better than man without any proof makes it too dismiss them, with my girls I say to them first prove you are better than every person in the room then worry about being a girl.
                    But do men have to prove they're equal?

Comment

But Chairmann

would be an adult male.

Chairman probably isn't the best example - I think the term is often accepted as gender neutral. But how about policeman or milkman? Less so. As I said, I think it's a grey area, but dropping the unnecessary 'ess' on things like author or actor doesn't seem a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X