• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Laws ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fleetwood
    I suggest re-building Offa's Dyke as well to keep the Welsh out , and a fence to keep the Cornish chez eux. People could down and watch them starve....
    Strangely, people from larger countries who rule smaller countries often feel that they support them. In many cases the individual people of the larger country even generously approve of doing so. But in reality the larger countries almost always exploit the smaller.

I for one am willing to take the chance that Scotland can live on its own. Ask the Danes if they wouldn't rather be German: they've had the chance a couple of times and not been keen. I'd say they were right.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
      If I was the PM I would pass a law that no one from outside England should represent England as a member of parliament. Like Gorden (scottish) Brown, why doesn't he feck off back to where he came from and feck up Scotland !

Of course, if it was the other way round, the Government would have already passed a law and taxed it by now!
      An MP represents his constituency, not England. A minister is responsible for representing Britain, not England. As a Jock I got no problem with English only MP's ruling on English only issues, and no barrier when it comes to national issues (Defence, economy etc). I can see why it would piss you off, given we had exactly the same thing for bloody years in Scotland, except far worse.

The old status quo didn't cut it in Scotland, but I suspect most of that was being ruled by a party the overwhelming majority of Scots hadn't voted for. At that point it was devolution or independence. Nowadays people aren't so stressed in Scotland about independence. Personally I'm still all for it, if nothing else just to make the Scottish bashers stfu. Then again I live in England (Along with a pretty large chunk of Scotlands population) so dunno if I have a say in that any more.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
        An MP represents his constituency, not England. A minister is responsible for representing Britain, not England. As a Jock I got no problem with English only MP's ruling on English only issues, and no barrier when it comes to national issues (Defence, economy etc). I can see why it would piss you off, given we had exactly the same thing for bloody years in Scotland, except far worse.

Then again I live in England (Along with a pretty large chunk of Scotlands population) so dunno if I have a say in that any more.
        I do agree with that, and I don't want MPs for Scottish constituencies to vote on English matters.

On the other hand (even apart from is just being tit for 299 years of tat), if that means that an MP for a Scottish constituency can't be PM of a UK that includes England, equally an MP for an English constituency can't be PM of a UK that includes Scotland, ==> no UK.

If that's OK with you, there's not much of a problem. It's those who want to keep the UK at all, who have a problem, and I don't see many of them doing enough thinking about it. I'm not even sure what the options are: back to the monolith is not one, I'm sure. That was a fairly recent invention anyway. Onward with the Scottish Parliament and nothing for England, is going to create just a wee bit of resentment. Separate parliament for England? Who wants it? And it would be just too unbalanced to be a workable federal system. Regional assemblies for England? Nobody wants it but it might be the answer. Otherwide you're looking at separation, and at best you'd keep a sort of association, like UK & Ireland, or Benelux or Scandinavia. But maybe that's obsolete within the EU anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
          Then again I live in England (Along with a pretty large chunk of Scotlands population)
          Which surely makes you part of England's population.

I live in Oxfordshire, yet MPs from other counties get to vote on things that affect me.... Seems to me it's just a matter of scale, and we're always going to be ruled by somebody from some other geographic region, be it London, Brussels, or Washington. That's just what happens in a society.

And as Expat says, the EU make some of this irrelevant anyway. Most of mainland Europe now has open borders and the same currency with some government being centralised and some being local. It's not that different to what we have now with Scotland, Wales and NI.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
          X