• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If I hadn't gone to private school...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody hell folks, I make a joke at my own expense and look what happens; go to bed. Or go to the pub. But sod this, don't waste your life arguing on here.

Toodle-pip!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      So do you think that all children should go to university, and regardless of how dim and indolent, be well enough taught to come out with a good degree? How then do you differentiate when entering the real world?
      another day perhaps?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        No they do not. They are driven by supply not demand - kids are having to compete for school places when schools should be competing for the kids. The middle classes and the rich can indeed shop around but the majority of people have to take what is given. My whole point is that everyone should be able to shop around and choose.
        They don't have to though - there is nothing to stop any parent, regardless of income, education, employment or religious conviction jumping through the hoops to get their kid into a faith school. There's nothing stopping all but the truly illiterate from hearing their kids read, supervising homework and generally ensuring their kids achieve their best.

Comment

No they do not. They are driven by supply not demand - kids are having to compete for school places when schools should be competing for the kids. The middle classes and the rich can indeed shop around but the majority of people have to take what is given. My whole point is that everyone should be able to shop around and choose.
          So all kids could get into above average schools?

Comment

Well ask the ones that are outstanding in the private sector and the public sector how it is done and then let parents have vouchers to spend on whatever school they think is best for their children
            What about supply and demand? What will happen when the schools everyone wants to go to are oversubscribed and unable to expand, as currently happens? Where will the "extra" kids go?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I find it extraordinary how the so called liberal middle classes presume to know what is best for the less well off in society. The liberal left do not like any sort of upward mobility from the proles which is why they are so keen to support the dreadful education system that the proles have no choice but to submit themselves to whilst they move to their areas of good schools or pay for them to go private.
              I find it extraordinary how you assume anyone who disagrees with you is "liberal mddle class". There is only one middle class prick presuming to know what is best for the less well off in this debate, and it's you mate.

I was raised on a sink estate in the home counties, I got my first job at 14, held down a job to pay the rent while I finished my A levels, and I love upward mobility because that's what got me away from the tuliphole I grew up in.

You are a clueless gobtulipe, and I can tell you now that when it comes to moving on up in our green and pleasant land the quality of the education system is by no means the biggest obstacle a "prole" faces.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                They don't have to though - there is nothing to stop any parent, regardless of income, education, employment or religious conviction jumping through the hoops to get their kid into a faith school. There's nothing stopping all but the truly illiterate from hearing their kids read, supervising homework and generally ensuring their kids achieve their best.
                Really? No matter how hypocritical the requests?

I'm CoE, CM is a left-footer. Her priest wants to see me go to his church before he'll even consider baptising junior!

Comment

What utter condescending nonsense. Have you read or seen the film Billy Elliot? Every child is capable and once parents start to see what is available to them do you really think they will hold back, particularly when others start to pick out good schools for their children.
                  It's make believe you ******* idiot.

Are you real? How do you tie your shoes? I bet you have to wear slip ons don't you.

Comment

So you need more schools and more teachers then.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      Really? No matter how hypocritical the requests?

I'm CoE, CM is a left-footer. Her priest wants to see me go to his church before he'll even consider baptising junior!
                      My point is that it's not background or poverty that excludes people from better state schools - it's the length the parents are prepared to go to. Giving people money to choose their own schools isn't going to change that - ambitious parents (of whatever class) will do what it takes, others will go to the local school regardless.

Comment

Working...
                      X