• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting or staying as Perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I, personally, wouldn't work a job I disliked just on the chance that the worst may happen. After all, if I get cancer then I've got bigger things to worry about than work.

How much would they even cover you for? I think my last permie job was 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay then you'd get a lump sum equivalent of redundancy on leaving. How long would it take you to save an equivalent sum on contractor rates?

Comment

Have cancer, am a permie:

I still have job considerations (will they want to get shot of me due to time off for hospital visits etc) no job is secure do want you want, be happy & deal with tomorrows issues when they arise.

Yes you can say that it’s harder to get shot of someone when they are permie but there are ways & means, fortunately my employer is good about these things & I have decided not to worry about it – there are much worthier things to contemplate over, such as black bean or sweet chilli stir fry tonight?
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        Have cancer, am a permie:

I still have job considerations (will they want to get shot of me due to time off for hospital visits etc) no job is secure do want you want, be happy & deal with tomorrows issues when they arise.

Yes you can say that it’s harder to get shot of someone when they are permie but there are ways & means, fortunately my employer is good about these things & I have decided not to worry about it – there are much worthier things to contemplate over, such as black bean or sweet chilli stir fry tonight?
        I thought it was HAD

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I thought it was HAD

Nah, got it for life (genetic fook up)
          the current batch of meds have forced a chemical remission, this state should last 2-6 years after that see what happens, either increase dose, new meds or full on bone marrow transplant, c'est la vie
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

The downside to so much 'exposure' of Cancer in the media is that until you have it (or have to care for someone undergoing the treatment) you don't realise how little you actually know. One of the first things you learn is that they will never tell you that you are cured as there no such thing, just remission and crossing your fingers that it does not return (or in some cases that the Oncologist guess on how long before it's return).

It does change your life and your outlook on it, as I suppose most near death experiences would.

Comment

Working...
            X