• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Roy Hodgson

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    We have managers with proven track records of developing youth and building teams, people like:

- Arsene Wenger
    - Benetez
    - Martinez
    - Rogers

Surely the FA should go to one of these kind of figures and have a long-term project where we aim to compete with the best in 15-20 years time. The FA gets involved too much in something it has no clue about. Use a manager who is going to gradually work on building the English team from the ground up. There is no other way forwards.
    None of the above are English.

I know they don't have to be, but why would a foreign manager be interested in the quality of youth football in England over short term success.
    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
      None of the above are English.

I know they don't have to be, but why would a foreign manager be interested in the quality of youth football in England over short term success.
      The point is England need the best possible people to do the job - pay them what is needed and give them the necessary freedom. There are no English managers who are going to result in an improvement for the English team (harry is the best of the lot and he isn't anywhere near somebody like Wenger).

Comment

The point is England need the best possible people to do the job - pay them what is needed and give them the necessary freedom. There are no English managers who are going to result in an improvement for the English team (harry is the best of the lot and he isn't anywhere near somebody like Wenger).
        What 'Job' is it you think they need to do? Manage the senior team or build for the next 15-20 years. What exactly do they need to do for us to be competative again in 20 years time?
        If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
          What 'Job' is it you think they need to do? Manage the senior team or build for the next 15-20 years. What exactly do they need to do for us to be competative again in 20 years time?
          That's my point - I don't have all the answers, but I bet you Wenger does.

Comment

That's my point - I don't have all the answers, but I bet you Wenger does.
            I'll bet you he doesn't.

He works with his players every day, and rests them when he thinks they need it. Nobody in the England set-up would have a fraction of that power over England players under contract with their clubs.

What would Wenger say today at Arsenal if someone fom England dictated to him what Wilshire, Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain should be doing day-by-day, let alone his academy players?

We've had loads of England managers since Alf Ramsey, including foreign ones, and they all end up seen as failures. They were all good managers with clubs. Today's Wenger, Benitez, etc are yesterday's Robson, Revie and Capello.

The best performance we've had since 1966 was the one semi-final, under Robson, who by then had been in the job longer than anyone else before or since. He'd gone through hell in his previous three tournaments, from press and public alike. Even in that tournament the pack of English journalists flying out to Italy stated they were "out to roast Robson". After eight years of that sh*te he'd had enough.

Comment

Working...
            X