• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish independence: 50 diplomats to SNP conference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You know that eventual Euro membership is a requirement for joining the EU now don't you? Plus you'll need to pay your share of the EU budget as well.
    I am sure you will find that they have figures proving that they ALREADY pay more of the Euro budget than the rest of the UK (and any of it's mates who fancy a go) have ever paid.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Well I'm afraid you might want to take a long holiday for the next 11 months, it's not going to go away.
      Before you get carried away Scotlands ability to rule itself and developing an advanced economy is all talk at the moment (mostly from you). There is no what I call "wealth generating" political party to create this affluence, so all the signs are that the benefit and entitlement culture of Scotland will prevail and it will come back to the UK begging for us to have them back
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        Or I could simply explain to people who bang on about it all the time that I could not care less. I do the same with people who bang on at me about religion (or threaten my 4 year old with torture in hell or encourage her not to learn about science etc.) so please do not feel like I am victimising your country.

Although for one terrified second I thought you meant that Scotland was not going to go away ... phew!!
        A country is the same as someone who believes in invisible beings - classic.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          it will come back to the UK begging for us to have them back
          I'm afraid you've got that the wrong way round

It is often wrongly interpreted that Scotland is subsidised by the rest of the UK, because public spending is £1,200 higher per head than in other parts of the country. However, on average Scots generate £10,700 per head in taxes compared to £9,000 per head in the rest of the United Kingdom, meaning Scotland actually receives £500 less back from Westminster than it contributes.[67] Furthermore, in February 2012, the Centre for Economics and Business Research concluded that "Scotland receives no net subsidy".[68] Overall, Scotland generates 9.9% (£56.9bn) of the UK's tax revenues with just 8.4% of the UK population. It receives 9.3% (£64.5bn) of spending, which, although a budget deficit, is considerably smaller than that of the rest of the United Kingdom. Over the past thirty years, Scotland has also contributed a relative budget surplus of almost £20 billion to the UK economy.[69][70] In the final quarter of 2012, the Scottish economy recorded 0.5% growth, outperforming the United Kingdom, which recorded a contraction of 0.3%.[2] Scotland also outperforms the rest of the United Kingdom in both employment and unemployment levels, with the Scottish unemployment rate currently standing at 7.1% as of June 2013, well below the UK figure of 7.8%. Scotland's youth unemployment rate is much lower as well, standing at 15.2% compared to 19.5% for the rest of the UK. The employment rate is also higher north of the border, standing at 72.2% in comparison with the UK figure of 71.5%.[71].
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Scotland
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

A country is the same as someone who believes in invisible beings - classic.
            Erm ... you seriously got that from what I wrote?

Did you previously claim that Scotland's education system was good?

Comment

Erm ... you seriously got that from what I wrote?

Did you previously claim that Scotland's education system was good?
              Impressive isn't it?

Comment

Impressive isn't it?
                Judging by the spelling in a significant proportion of your posts, no not really.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  Judging by the spelling in a significant proportion of your posts, no not really.
                  Good point.

Comment

Impressive isn't it?
                    It is truly remarkable. Having seen how you interpreted my post and taking you as typical of Scottish education I think I now understand why the Scottish are so convinced that they financially disadvantaged by being in the UK.

Comment

It is truly remarkable. Having seen how you interpreted my post and taking you as typical of Scottish education I think I now understand why the Scottish are so convinced that they financially disadvantaged by being in the UK.
                      We have an ability to cut through the sheet. And I smell a lot of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X