• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Englishness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    And is ginger!
    And wears woad
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      And wears woad
      And tartan ties

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        What would make somebody 'Scottish' if someone who was born in Edinburgh, grew up in the Hebrides and Fort William and elected to parliament by the people of Inverness isn't Scottish in your eyes?
        They're born and live in America, and consider themselves Scottish because once a year they toss their caber and get blind drunk ?
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          They're born and live in America, and consider themselves Scottish because once a year they toss their caber and get blind drunk ?
          Oi tought dey were 'Oirish-Americans'. Plastic Paddies seems to be the term.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            Only once a year! No wonder they are so miserable
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I think if you have British roots i.e. parants or grandparants, or even if you don't but moved here when you were young and grew up here, then it's part of your identity and who you are, so you're as English as you feel.
              I'm not normally one given to nationalistic tendencies, but this could possibly be why so many Scots get a bit miffed. British != English. You hear this all the time. Queen of England is another one that rips my knitting.....

Rant over.
              I'd give my right dick to be normal.....

Comment

Originally posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
                I'm not normally one given to nationalistic tendencies, but this could possibly be why so many Scots get a bit miffed. British != English. You hear this all the time. Queen of England is another one that rips my knitting.....

Rant over.
                Yes, but she is the Queen of England, just as she is also the Queen of Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Runs With Scissors View Post

Rant over.
                  Yeah yeah whatever. The thing is that outside of football and rugby scotland don't have a team, and most people that come over and adopt their new homeland become English, they don't become Scottish because a big part of Scottishness is hating the English and they have no reason to. So they become British, yes, but when it comes to the home nations rivalries they usually become English.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    What would make somebody 'Scottish' if someone who was born in Edinburgh, grew up in the Hebrides and Fort William and elected to parliament by the people of Inverness isn't Scottish in your eyes?
                    No. Just any of them that gets into bed with the tories. Do you think the same Scottish Liberal MP's currently in parliament will see a 2nd term? Not on your nelly, the electorate will make them pay for such traitorous behaviour. It's part of the reason why lib-dems (typically strong in Scotland) have suffered so much recently.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      No. Just any of them that gets into bed with the tories. Do you think the same Scottish Liberal MP's currently in parliament will see a 2nd term? Not on your nelly, the electorate will make them pay for such traitorous behaviour. It's part of the reason why lib-dems (typically strong in Scotland) have suffered so much recently.
                      So people in Scotland who vote conservative or liberal democrat can't be considered 'Scottish'?

You have some rather interesting ideas about how democracy will work in Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                      X